Brass and monkeys part Deux.

Guest varmartin

Guest varmartin

Not wanting to Hyjack Craigyboys Thread and For those interested in the calculation,

the most reliable values I could find for the linear coefficients of

thermal expansion for brass and gray cast iron are 0.0000199/degree C and 0.0000105/degree C

respectively (from the ASM Metals Reference Book). So if a one-meter long leg of a brass triangle

"monkey" were cooled -200 degrees C, it would shrink unconstrained by 0.00398 m, or about 4 mm.

And a one-meter long row of cast iron cannonballs would shrink less, about 0.0021 m, or about 2 mm.

The difference between these two contractions is obviously about 2 mm (1.88 mm without rounding),

an order of magnitude larger than the "quarter of a millimetre" in the cited article. Not a big deal, and

not a large enough difference to invalidate the conclusion that the nautical cannonball explanation for

the expression cannot hold up, but when science is invoked, the calculations should at least be the right

order of magnitude.

In actuality, the outward force of the cannonballs pushing along the leg of the brass triangle would

prevent the brass from contracting the full 4 mm, and the inward force of the triangle along the row of

cannonballs adjacent to the brass leg would cause the cast iron balls to contract more than the

calculated 2 mm. The joint contraction for both the cannonballs and the triangle leg probably would be

about 2 to 3 mm. And a temperature change of -200 C is too extreme to be plausible. A temperature

of -100 C (equal to -180 F) probably is larger than any ship on the high seas would be expected to

experience, which would decrease the maximum expected shrinkage to about 1 to 1.5 mm, even less

likely than 2 to 3 mm to cause the cannonballs to fall off/out of the triangle (whether or not it was

called a "monkey") but still greater than 1/4 mm.

Perhaps the textbooks on co-efficients need revising and anyway. if you packed the cannonballs tight enough (sub 1mm gap) and placed a small oxy-acetelene torch with the jet directed into the pyramid to keep them warm, (entirely plausible as they sometimes used to heat shot to maximise it's destructive power against fortifications) ; wouldn't accidentally dropping a keg of liquid nitrogen on the deck (missing the pyramid of shot) cause them to pop out? You wouldn't read of such a situation actually happening because the likely destructive effect would kill any witnesses and the oxy torch and the thermally insulated cannister would be blown through the porthole on the gun deck in the explosion.

Perhaps the expression started as "cold enough to freeze the superheated balls off a supercooled brass monkey"?

Actually "brass" is a slang term for prostitute (as in the need to give her some coinage to have sex) and a "monkey" was a cabin boy, so a "brass monkey" might be a cabin boy that sold sexual favours. On a ship, it might be necessary to go either into the cold-store or the forecastle to do such a thing in private and so perhaps these brass-monkeys used to suffer frostbite on the extremities. if the brass-monkey was the active not passive part of the duo, the risk of exposure to the testicles ("balls") would support it being a nautical term for being very cold and it might have been a kindly warning to such catamites.

Martin :lol:

Blooming heck Martin you certainly got your professor head on tonight!!!

Blooming lost me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::blink: :blink:

You haven't been taking the wrong tablets too!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

All the best...................

RAY.................................. ;):lol:

Four Codine Phosphate and two Hedex and a litre of Cherry Coke mate....Part from that Im Right onnnn.... :lol:

Martin

Thats Jamies medicine - you got them mixed up with yours!!!!!!!!!!!! :blink: :blink: :lol: :lol:

All the best...........

RAY..........................

Guest 308Panther

F2N,

It also helps if ya turn your back to the wind.

Varmartin,

Codine and caffiene...one picks ya up and the other brings ya down

Ya trying to go sideways?

Sis's "whatever" had an expression...."It's colder than a well diggers ass."

He made that comment to me one morning for duck season.

I replied back...."I wouldnt know, I generally make it a point to sleep with women,"

:lol: That was the last time I heard him make that comment.

308Panther

Guest 308Panther

did you mean your crutch was slipping :lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

All I know is ...if I had to take 4 codiene tabs.....A whole lotta things would be slippin.

Includin the bed...

308Panther

Guest varmartin

Ronin...W T F ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Its a stupid moment thing... :D

My head was spinning so much...I couldn`t lay on the floor with out holding on..

Martin

yes it was his crutch slipping and the crabs he caught from ray make him crab sideways (their big bloody crabs)

or its him doing his mincing walk as usual

just stay outa the way of his hand bag :lol::lol::lol:

Hello darling , the other day you said you liked my furry handbag!!!!! :lol::D:lol:

Sorry that was the fox!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

All the best..................

RAY......................................... :D;)

Guest varmartin

It has never be proven or dis-proven for that matter, but the storage of cannon balls on deck would have been most unusual.

As they were made from cast iron corrosion would have been an issue, also cannon balls rolling around on the deck in the rain, snow or any thing else falling from the heavens would have been dangerous to say the least.

Martin

This is a realistic summary http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/cold%20...s%20monkey.html

In reality they used chain shot, grape shot and many others, stored in wooden boxes or trays with c arrying handles to bring them up from the magazine. Storing cannon balls in pyramids or trays with holes would have left them helpless as everyone would have been on top of a cannon or hanging from ropes in the deck head to prevent their bare feet getting crushed by the balls rolling all over the deck as the ship pitched and rolled! another urban myth :lol:

Redfox

Guest 308Panther

"Amidships was a plethora of personal items for the 100 man crew including clothing, shoes, and buttons. Aft of this was the shot locker filled with cannon balls. The officers' quarters in the stern were completely blown to bits as this was where the destructive charges were laid when the ship was scuttled."

http://ina.tamu.edu/defence/defence.htm

Has a good underwater pic of the shot garlands...

308Panther

Archived