just to throw a spanner in the works

silentsoulsleave308holes

just to throw a spanner in the works, ever thought about going back to basics?

if your gun is a shooter from a good sorce then like most top end sticks ie: HS PRECISION and no I am not lucky enough to own one then your rifle should or is designed to shoot sub .5 moa with FULL length sized virgin brass and SAMMI spec length and reloading data

a test on a hsp rifle (shooting sports june 2005) showed the test rifle loaded with 155@2.275 and 168@2.800 did just that, infact the best group of the day was 0.206"@100 yards c/centre

these guns are guaranteed to repeat this sorta accuracy again and again infact and quoted from the magazine "specifications were sent out for short action bolt guns( for the fbi ) in 308 win and nine manufactures sent in rifles for tests, accuracy was paramount and each had to maintain .5 moa before and after 5000 round endurane test"

" guns were dropped muzzle down loaded from four feet onto concrete, dropped on the left side then the right side and on the butt, immersed in salt water 24 hours, rinsed and had to give the .5 moa requirement

makes you wonder whats all the anal fuss about with reloading of ya gotta not so fancy stick

my trusty stick izza parker hale target that regularly shoots sub .5 and often .25 moa, rounds loaded to saami spec and a jump to the lands that if I loaded to touch, would be a gap of about half inch from base of bullet to top of neck

she has zapped rabbits with one shot kills at 843, 814 and 851, has proven herself with first round strike on a mellon at just over 1k etc etc

conclusion: I bet if I started fussing, loading out etc etc she would shoot worse, I started all that stuff a long time ago when I had a cz 243 and a steyr ssg 243 and sold myself out to buying other rifles after they seem to shoot worse the more I tried

then when the new guns were on order and the sale of these was organised and done I just went back the basic load like in the begining, went out for the one last time goodbye my girls shoot and they shot like a dream. oh spiral staircase it what have I done came to mind

the ssg shot and still shoots sub 1" at 300 oooouuuuuch wish I had kept her :D

Yes I suppose we have all done something like that. :D

I had a 700 adl and being new to reloading kept changing this that and everything. If I had just bought a load of 155 amax and tubs of 4895 at 44 grains and shot it I would probably still have it.

Messing for messings sake B)

Now I buy bigger volumes so I cant change easily on a whim :P read justify changing with all this stock.

When I was at gunsmithing school, the head instructor for machining was a fellow named Harold Thomason. He was once in charge of the US Army's competition team's gunsmithing. They built 300 Winchester Magnums on one of a kind, solid top Winchester Model 70's. I saw some of the file targets he had: ten shots in an inch at 300M from a machine rest was the norm. When I asked him what loads he said they used sorted, weighed brass, air gaged bullets, and strict loading procedures. He also said that while they shot handloads, they never shot reloads.

Makes you wonder, indeed.~Andrew

Archived