Picking up

Picking up today,the dog in the water is a young dog first season out, the dog with the pheasant is the litter brother I had some good long retrieves on a couple of woodcock well chuffed with the dogs its two i bread myself Yellow dog is the father and the other dog is the mother one happy family total bag 198 Out again on Saturday

TERRY

Hi Terry,

Looks like you had a good day, great pics. Not long now and another season will be over. Can't wait to get my Saturday's back :)

How has your season gone so far?

We have had a very good one so far with over average bags most weeks.

Regards,

Daz

Hi Terry,

Looks like you had a good day, great pics. Not long now and another season will be over. Can't wait to get my Saturday's back :)

How has your season gone so far?

We have had a very good one so far with over average bags most weeks.

Regards,

Daz

Hi Daz yes we had good season so far put 4000 birds down shot 49% 4 days left and 2 walk days. happy days

terry

• 2 weeks later...

That pup with the bird is just so keen to please, lovelly, you must be pleased with them, thanks for sharing,

How do you find handling 4 dogs at the same time?, I find 2 independent minded labs a bit of a handfull when they are both working runners. Only got one these days, pups early next year hopefully.

A

That pup with the bird is just so keen to please, lovelly, you must be pleased with them, thanks for sharing,

How do you find handling 4 dogs at the same time?, I find 2 independent minded labs a bit of a handfull when they are both working runners. Only got one these days, pups early next year hopefully.

A

Hi Alycidon handling 4 dogs at same time is fine, I call the one i want to send out of line by name and then send early in the season when handling a young dog and you say go back sometimes the young dog in the line will set off so you have to keep you wits about you early in the season.I do quite a bit of training with all four in the summer, but as you know there's nothing like the real thing, when there's birds dropping everywhere and the noise from the shots coming from all directions soon winds young dogs up, the two young ones have done really well. Out on Thursday sent young dog for a bird I thought was dead it wasn't it had run dog come back with the bird and a big cut under his leg, so off to vet six stitches and a big fat bill, and hes out of action for the rest of the season.

Terry

Hi Alycidon handling 4 dogs at same time is fine, I call the one i want to send out of line by name and then send early in the season when handling a young dog and you say go back sometimes the young dog in the line will set off so you have to keep you wits about you early in the season.I do quite a bit of training with all four in the summer, but as you know there's nothing like the real thing, when there's birds dropping everywhere and the noise from the shots coming from all directions soon winds young dogs up, the two young ones have done really well. Out on Thursday sent young dog for a bird I thought was dead it wasn't it had run dog come back with the bird and a big cut under his leg, so off to vet six stitches and a big fat bill, and hes out of action for the rest of the season.

Terry

Thats life for you. While I have done some picking up over the last 30 years I am mainly in the gun line still and have yet to graduate permanently to the rear echelons. Funny how we all start beating, graduate to shooting and finish up picking up, these days I get as much pleasure from my Lab and her successes as I do my gun. Thing is on a gun line there is not normally much hard work to do with runners etc, that is where my lab excells. On a drive the other day when shooting as a guest she ran in on a hard hit Rose scrabbling along over the top of some rape, he went 200 yards plus then up and over a 8 foot wall onto a minor road, Meg was some way behind him, she saw a gate 40 yards further up, went through it and re emerged with the Rose a few minutes later. The pickers said it was a really good bit of work, it was except for the running in bit !!. She gets more than a bit keen on a peg but is steady picking up behind as she knows I am watching her not a bird. When there is a hit bird to be found she rarely fails although she will not lift a Jay.

A

Archived