double shots

dannyt

Well ive tryed for 25 years to do it and never had the chance , but last night we were out in windy norfolk on my shoot and shot 2 foxes with one shot (dog and vixen tied).

Adie shooting ,Simon lamping and myself driving. The night was far from great for foxing 25mph winds ,so we didnt use any night vision for the first time this season .

Adie used his tikka lite in 243 to good effect on a very blustery night to take three foxes for three shots fired with one clean mis all the shots taken were around the 200yrd mark , no great shakes there but take in to account buffering on the side of the landrover and shooting a very light rifle a nice job done .

The bogoff shot taken was in a rape field, the crop is high this winter due to the mild weather witch helped hold the spooky foxes long enough for a quick but steady shot.

On closer inspection of the pair, the bullet hit the dog fox high in the front bib area came out at the base of his tail and hit the vixen in the back of the head .

Talk about being caught with you pants down , at least they died happy

Has any body else managed this on the site or seen it done ? .

I think it will be another 25 years before i see a chance come around again .

thats some shot-i have shot 2 cubs with one shot before both standing shoulder to shoulder as if one ,the shot was 160paces away from me using a 243ai with a 87vmax.at the time i thought i had just the one and the other had got away -no chance.2dog cubs that was in 2004.

Great stuff never had the chance of a shot like that and prob never will seen plenty paird up but never in that position,at least they died happy,weather up here has been totaly crap so only had a handfull of fox's in the lasty few month

Hi All,

I have inflicted damage on two targets while fox shooting, one of them was me! A few years ago I was asked to do some fox control on the Surrey estate of a famous actor (not a lot of people know that). I was standing in a hide when a fox cub strolled past almost within touching distance,

a .204 32gr was dutifully despatched in the appropriate direction immediately followed by sharp pain in my leg. The fox had just about disintegrated and a bone fragment at high speed had connected with my leg, penetrated my trousers and just broken the skin. Since then I've always allowed a bit more 'stand off' distance,

Alan

Hi All,

I have inflicted damage on two targets while fox shooting, one of them was me! A few years ago I was asked to do some fox control on the Surrey estate of a famous actor (not a lot of people know that). I was standing in a hide when a fox cub strolled past almost within touching distance,

a .204 32gr was dutifully despatched in the appropriate direction immediately followed by sharp pain in my leg. The fox had just about disintegrated and a bone fragment at high speed had connected with my leg, penetrated my trousers and just broken the skin. Since then I've always allowed a bit more 'stand off' distance,

Alan

wow foxy I E D thats a new one :)

Great stuff never had the chance of a shot like that and prob never will seen plenty paird up but never in that position,at least they died happy,weather up here has been totaly crap so only had a handfull of fox's in the lasty few month

the weather in east anglia is realy dry more so this year fox numbers are realy going up this year more than ever , most fox controllers and game keepers are up by 30% on numbers taken from last year ,Norfolk has always been quite low in fox numbers .I moved here 23 years ago , i moved from a shoot in east sussex and a mate moved from the same area to Holkholm a couple of years later

(it took him 2 years to find a fox on his beat of 3000 acres)

.Numbers in sussex the were bonkers killing 100+ a year was no problem ,we took 10s and 20s on fox drives on some ground we drove out of season feb march time that was close to our shoot.

numbers are getting loads higher now in Norfolk with losts more scope for in fill, might be an idea to have a meet up for a few fellas in norfolk if your short some time.

atb Danny

Don 2 rabbits a few times and seen 2 pigeons but never even heard of 2 foxes at the same time. Well done.

Which one was the shot of choice? I assume the dog, personally I would have chosen the vixen hoping that she would hold the dog long enough to get another off at him.

A

Don 2 rabbits a few times and seen 2 pigeons but never even heard of 2 foxes at the same time. Well done.

Which one was the shot of choice? I assume the dog, personally I would have chosen the vixen hoping that she would hold the dog long enough to get another off at him.

A

IF a dog and vixen are tied and you shoot either one they become free due to the muscular contraction being released i watched a farmers son i know shoot a dog fox tied with a vixen the dog fox took a 50gn vmax in the boiler room before he had hit the floor the vixen was away

ran like the wind,i think i would too if disturbed like that on the job :blush:

the weather in east anglia is realy dry more so this year fox numbers are realy going up this year more than ever , most fox controllers and game keepers are up by 30% on numbers taken from last year ,Norfolk has always been quite low in fox numbers .I moved here 23 years ago , i moved from a shoot in east sussex and a mate moved from the same area to Holkholm a couple of years later

(it took him 2 years to find a fox on his beat of 3000 acres)

.Numbers in sussex the were bonkers killing 100+ a year was no problem ,we took 10s and 20s on fox drives on some ground we drove out of season feb march time that was close to our shoot.

numbers are getting loads higher now in Norfolk with losts more scope for in fill, might be an idea to have a meet up for a few fellas in norfolk if your short some time.

atb Danny

I wish they were up on numbers where I am, only seen about 4 on my shoots in the last year, I'm trying to get a bead on one at the moment but he's a slippery customer. Well done on getting two with one bullet, just goes to show how quickly luck can change. One minuet you're in, the next, BANG and you're out. :D

Archived