Calling Foxes

Toby

Hi, have just started to get into calling foxes.Just wonder how you guys do it,electric calls or manual?I have been out with the Critrcall PeeWee a couple of outings but no joy so far.If any of you understand Swedish there was a great "how to" dvd launched this summer.They managed to take over 30 foxes in a month.In Norway we are not not allowed to lamp,the only exception being a wall lamp in conjunction with bait hunting foxes.See that there is a wealth of experience on this site,any tips are welcome,the land I have permission on isn't exactly overrun with foxes but I normally manage 3-5 a year(winter)thinking that calling may bring in a few others.Regards Toby

Hi toby,

Firstly i think that you have got one of the best calls going!!!!!

we have been useing the criter call for a few years now and we have had good results..

Last year we finnished on 159 foxes most of them taked at night with a lamp and the criter - call and my hand??

what we try and do is vary the call as much as we can!!! as you know there are a lot of sounds that can be made with your call???, i like and find that a high pitched call is the best, starting off quite just encase there is a fox that is close and then louder,,, the sound that you make should tapper of slowly not just end like as if you had blown a wistle!!!

toby, if there is a fox around most high pitched sqweeks will bring one in or not??

Some foxes will come running in like a steem train

Some foxes will just sit and look at you, thinking that they far away and safe??

Some will look and then disapear into the distance

Some will just bolt as soon as you turn on the lamp??, due to some idiot having had a shot and missed?? (what we call lamp shy)

Some will come running in and then they will start to try and go down wind of you to get your sent??

If they get down wind of you they will more than likely just run away

Some are just plain stupid and run in even if the wind is in the wrong direction they just dont care??

I have found that the best night are the ones were there is not to much wind around as i have found that they are very jumpy on a windy night..

Toby i am trying to think off your method of fox control?? sounds like the best method for you would be to bait an area and see what comes??? now if you do this you could be sitting for a long time waiting for your fox to show up???? Very soul destroying,,,

Now if you do what we have done in the past and that is to bait your area and have an alarm clock with a string attached to one of the battery cables and your bait,, then when the fox takes the bait the clock will stop and it will tell you the time of night that the fox is around????

Get in posision one hour before this time and wait for that fox,,,,,

Hope this helps??? if you want to now more just pm me and i will help as best i can!!!!

All the best darrel North wales

Thanks for the replies,Darrel,on the farm that I shoot i do have a main baiting area which has bait from about october to march.I thought that I would try calling as the farm is pretty large and I have the choice of maybe 5-6 good posts to call from.Up until now I've sat out at night in my fox cabin waiting for them to come to me(can be alot of hrs in between each fox!)Thinking that calling will be a bit more productive than the sit and wait tactics.Farm is mixed beef cattle and arable.terrain varies from open pasture to valleys interspersed with woodland.Generally hunt a couple of times a month but think that calling once a month will be enough,dont want to educate them either!Thanks for tips,regards Toby

Archived