Yet more Shehane woes.

1967spud

Did an eight shot group today at 200 yards, group ened up at about 1" in size for all 8 shots so that was ok. I used a chronograph at about 6 feet away from muzzle and i got an average speed of 3117 fps and an ES of 28 fps. Now i know the chrono is ok but i didnt expect such high velocities even allowing for the milder weather. Powder wise i was using 58.2 of 4831 sc as ive found like others this bullet and calibre loves.

Spud is your chrono too close??

I seem to remember reading somewhere that 10 feet is ideal as any muzzle blast etc is eliminated. i have a piece of string marked up so i always put the chrono in the same place every time.

Alan

Did an eight shot group today at 200 yards, group ened up at about 1" in size for all 8 shots so that was ok. I used a chronograph at about 6 feet away from muzzle and i got an average speed of 3117 fps and an ES of 28 fps. Now i know the chrono is ok but i didnt expect such high velocities even allowing for the milder weather. Powder wise i was using 58.2 of 4831 sc as ive found like others this bullet and calibre loves.

As a bench mark my Shehane runs 2930fps with 58 gns H4831SC and a 180 Berger VLD out of 32" barrel with an ES of 10.

I would think your velocity is a bit optermistic for that chage weight although at 6 feet your chrono is on the close side.

Cheers

Dave

Looks like she's grouping well Mark.

My velocity figures were 10 feet from the muzzle, readings were taken over a friends ultra reliable Oehler chrono.

Good luck with your endevours.

Dave

im redoing it at kynoch for winter testing ion the wind tunnel

did not go yet so testing in garden

test-1 - am sat - sunny - 4 thou off the lands - group was not great

3004 fouling

3003 fouling

test 2 -pm sat - cloudy and quite windy - touching the lands - group was back to about inch at 200 yards

3062 fouling

3088 fouling

what i am thinking is double check speeds with another chrono to confirm and vld's dont like to jump in this rifle, seems my throat has moved 4 thou since new with 260 shots on it.

will be at kynoch very soon

Mark impressive velocities.

I only could get those with Rel 17.

No wonder your throat has moved forward 4 thou in 260 shots.

I did mine the other day and it has only moved forward 1 thou in 600 rnds?

Cheers

Dave

Dave ill be rechecking the velocities next week at the Kynoch testing facilities. Then well know for definate, i dont think my chrono is wrong but it will concur every thing.

Foxshooter please ring me and can cowboy ring me as well.

3100 fps is WSM terratory. I could get 3070fps with 57gns of Reloader 17.

Perhaps its your gain twist giving extra speed?

Are you going to the January Dorset shoot?

Have a happy new year

Dave

Archived