What distance to go to night vision

Alan17hmr

Hello guys

Just watched a BSA Laser Designator sell on EBay again with what feels to me like a slow price lift to the selling price of £140

I used to use a Yukon gen 1 with optical doubler and extra iluminator and got good results out to 70 yards with it strapped onto a Anschutz 22, not as good on my Anschutz 17 HMR but have to admit I could range against known features on my permission,

I got fed up eventually carrying the rifles with a unbalanced lump strapped to it, and sold the Yukon.

I have now moved permissions and shoot closer with a rimfire magic custom set up with the Deben Gl 4 on top, very pleased with this, ( how does Roger get a subsonic to shoot straight out to a measured 100 yds)

I am very interested in the Pulsar N 550 night vision, but also very happy with the 3 sizes of light force hand held lamps, and very happy with the Deben GL 4

What experience do you guys have of the Laser Designator and is it a good tool or has been over hyped, the new price of a laser Designator is a third of the starting price of the Pulsar before extras fitted and don't want to waste my cash

Over to you now and please be gentle

Regards

Alan

We had a chat about the 'designators' a while back - I can't spot it though. My tuppence: there is absolutely no way I would look at reflected laser light, from a laser of that intensity through unprotected magnifying optics. I wouldn't even consider one.

Found it:

Personally, i wouldn't be running to get something like this.

I'm always amazed at how people treat lasers casually whilst using magnifying optics.

I've 'grown up' in an environment where use of a high power LRF is accompanied by the shout 'laser firing' to signal to anyone else looking into the target area with unfiltered magnifying optics to look away.

...which leaves me a little bit stunned when civvy bloke on his x 32 nightforce takes on a target whilst matey next to him lases it with a 1.6km range "eyesafe" laser ....or a more powerful ex-military laser.

...looking at reflected laser light with a 32 (or whatever) magnifying optic with no laser filter is a little bit Darwinian. Cataract city (and i do know one fellow who got cataracts as a result of years of binocular use whilst around miltary lasers)

Sooo, where does a laser like this one sit, pumping out enough energy to illuminate stuff 100s of meters away- when its reflections are viewed through magnifying optics?!

I can glance at the sun, but I wouldn't look at it through a 25 power scope :rolleyes::blink: .

http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9430&st=0&p=82776&hl=designator&fromsearch=1entry82776

Note Eldon's comment too :)

Archived