Info on Tikka M65A rifles ?

ChrisF

Hi Guys ,

I am after any info you guys have on the rare Tikka M65A 308 cal rifle , can it use the older M55 mags ?

Whats the dovetail measurements etc ?

Later Chris

Hi Chris,

The M65 was the long action variant of the M55, production of the two models was concurrent. The M65A was a special model in .308 Win. The magazines are not interchangeable, the part numbers are:-

M55 # 639443

M65 # 649643

The M65A known as the M65 Sporter in Europe had 7 and 10 shot mags. that did not have a listed part number but were known by their description. It is not evident from part numbers and diagrams if the standard M65 mags. are compatible. The UK importers (GMK) are of the opinion that they are not and that spare mags. are not available.

I'm not certain of the dovetail measurements as I don't have an older model Tikka in the workshop at present, hope this is of some assistance,

Alan

Chris, I had one and a friend in Scotland still has it (Shrekkles if you're lurking then please chime in)

The mags are definitely different as the locating catch is in a different location (side rather than front) to those of the M55 (I've owned both) and are as rare as chickens dentures.

The dovetails are the same as the rest of the Tikkas and will accept Optilock bases no problem. Mine was a very lightly used police model and I couldn't bear to screwcut it, use it harshly or take it out in the rain. Hence it got sold to me good mate Shrek who has it as a range queen, cuddles it at night and only takes it out in the sunshine as befits such a rare beast.

The evolution of the TRG is clearly seen in the design of the M65A with the shape of the stock and the general layout etc. It's a very comfortable beast to shoot and once it was clean (Police armourers huh!) it shot .3 with no load development whatsoever. The huge ally bedding block underneath the action may have had a good deal to do with that.

If you have a chance of one and will treat it nicely (no stories of rare Tikka mistreatment please) then fill yer boots. Don't expect to find spare mags though-if you do I'd buy a lottery ticket the same day!

Cheers

G

Yeap , I have a little info , it is a bit confusing thou .

And most of that is down to the way they have called it a M65A ( and as I can see , its not ).

As far as i can tell , the M55 is a squared topped short action ,, running a single stack mag .

The M65 is a square topped long action , running a double stack mag .

Too me the M65A , appears to actually be a M658 action running single stack mags , I say this as it is a long action , is NOT square topped ,and has a rear nylon bush at the rear of the bolt .

Cheers Guys

P.S. I did hear that some one was making some more old style Tikka mags .

What did you think of the rear nylon bushing ?

The rear bushing meant the bolt ran very smoothly. Was a pain to refit the bolt though.

Mine was a square top though as it definitely used the ordinary Tikka bases.

Cheers

Gareth

What I should have said , was square top & SIDES , as the M65A seems to have rounded SIDEs , if that makes any sense .

Cheers Guys

Hi All,

Pure coincidence, I've just had a Tikka M65A come into the workshop. It's set up as a target rifle with diopter sights, following on from earlier posts I will describe some of the features:-

Long action length with a single column 6 round side releasing .308 mag.

Flat bottom and sides but a generous radius into a standard Tikka dovetail (the rear has been machined narrower on this rifle to take the bracket for the rearsight, approx. 3/8")

Plastic sleeve over bolt that locks into receiver to give support to the bolt when opened

Crisp 2 stage pull currently set to 1,3/4 pounds

Target type wooden stock that flares to cover the mag.

Vertical target type pistol grip with a tube extending to the rear to which is secured an adjustable stock/cheekpiece and adjustable buttplate

23,3/8" (from receiver) straight taper target weight barrel

Does this match the description of other M65A's (other than the re-machined dovetail) owned by other members? This one may be for sale, any idea of value?

Alan

Hi All,

Pure coincidence, I've just had a Tikka M65A come into the workshop. It's set up as a target rifle with diopter sights, following on from earlier posts I will describe some of the features:-

Long action length with a single column 6 round side releasing .308 mag.

Flat bottom and sides but a generous radius into a standard Tikka dovetail (the rear has been machined narrower on this rifle to take the bracket for the rearsight, approx. 3/8")

Plastic sleeve over bolt that locks into receiver to give support to the bolt when opened

Crisp 2 stage pull currently set to 1,3/4 pounds

Target type wooden stock that flares to cover the mag.

Vertical target type pistol grip with a tube extending to the rear to which is secured an adjustable stock/cheekpiece and adjustable buttplate

23,3/8" (from receiver) straight taper target weight barrel

Does this match the description of other M65A's (other than the re-machined dovetail) owned by other members? This one may be for sale, any idea of value?

Alan

Yes, that's it to a T. Shame that the dovetail has been re-machined. Price? Reckon on about 650-700 for a mint one. With the mod to the action then 500-550. The M55s usually make around that mark too.

Regards

Gareth

Yes, that's it to a T. Shame that the dovetail has been re-machined. Price? Reckon on about 650-700 for a mint one. With the mod to the action then 500-550. The M55s usually make around that mark too.

Regards

Gareth

Thanks Gareth, the price seems about right. Since doing the last post I found that a M65A had sold on Gunstar for £1600 but this included a Leupold EFR scope and mounts. It's probably the lack of spare mags. that effects the sellability and value of these rifles,

Alan

Thanks Gareth, the price seems about right. Since doing the last post I found that a M65A had sold on Gunstar for £1600 but this included a Leupold EFR scope and mounts. It's probably the lack of spare mags. that effects the sellability and value of these rifles,

Alan

Ditto the M55. They tend to be very accurate so despite parts availability they're worth having. I sold this M55 to a write for one of the gun magazines and he loves it. I'd have it still but as a stalking rifle, stainless is much more practical so regretably it had to go. Stocks on both the M55 and 65a are uber comfy too (at least for my build which I think Matt describes as lanky and horse faced: cheers!)

africa113.jpg M55 in natural environment

africa089.jpgapplied external ballistics of 190 gr hp

africa080.jpgditto

africa087.jpgditto

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, seems an age sine i was last on here!!!

Gareth (Zaitsev) gave me a call the other day and said someone was after some info on the M65A.... looks like the calls already been answered...

My 65A doesnt tend to see much sunlight these days, mind you neither do any of the other rifles in the cabinet since my student days when i had alot more spare time.

Glad to hear they'res still one or two good examples of these fine rifles knocking about!!

All the best

William

• 1 month later...

Archived