Tamar Valley Red

Following a a trip down to Bodmin for Reds I was lucky enough to come across the best shown below.

The weekend had been arranged with Keith Cann and it was to comprise of a Saturday morning and afternoon stalk and then a Sunday morning stalk bfore leaving for home.

Saturday morning was a complete disaster (for me) as I made the cardinal sin of not putting enough layers on and I froze my welsh knackers off before first light, breakfast at Lifton couldn't come soon enough!

That evening and with a few extra layers I was back in the high seat keenly awaiting any action, I didn't have to wait long as within an hour the animal showed himself briefly through the forest cover long enough for me to get a shot in. The resulting thud confired a good hit, the deer walked off so I gave it 5 minutes to relax and cool off before going after him.

I made my way to where the deer was hit and saw him lying approx 30 feet away he was hit hard lying down, I was just debating a follow on shot when Keith arrived and quickly dispatched the animal for me.

In all a great weekend was had, the Sunday was quiet but we can't be greedy, Keith certainly looks after you and provides excellent hospitality and great stalking, I cant wait for a further trip down in december.

TamarValleyRed10Nov07.jpg

TamarValleyRed2.jpg

I really hope the phots come out as its my first attempt

Hi Northern,

My rifle is a Laminated Stainless Tikka T3 in 300 win mag with a reflex T8mag moderator, the scope is a Swarovski 6x18x50 TDS reticule, this red was brought down with 184g RWS factory ammunition, very little meat damage clean in and out. The shot was ranged at 177yards

A very nice stag there buddy!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;)

Glad you had a great time.......................

All the best...................

RAY..................................... :D;)

Archived