im using .243 ackley brass thats at least 9 years old and had 25 + firings and as long as i anneal now and again and keep a vigilant eye for defects i cant see it getting any worse

Did you neck turn them? Have you had to remove do-nuts? if so, after how many firings? don't want to hijack the thread but very interested too. :)

its a sloppy old neck donuts never been an issue with this calibre for me

i got brass that has 15-16 firings and still like new but annealed every 3rd firing i bin when primer pockets go to slack

Grant ive thought about annealing every reload as par for the course to get even more uniformity from reloading to reloading

your thoughts on this please ?

spud if you run a tight neck then 2-3 is good enough - ,i tryed my own little test over crono and 2-3 firing their was no shift in es and sd ,on 5 firing es and sd nearly doubled but group size was nearly the same ,so why waste gas ,but every person likes to do things diffrent

if i ran a factory neck then maby every firing might help

if you aneal regular and with right temp with a decent machine it will be consistant and uniform if you under aneal then it wont

Guest richness

spud if you run a tight neck then 2-3 is good enough - ,i tryed my own little test over crono and 2-3 firing their was no shift in es and sd ,on 5 firing es and sd nearly doubled but group size was nearly the same ,so why waste gas ,but every person likes to do things diffrent

if i ran a factory neck then maby every firing might help

if you aneal regular and with right temp with a decent machine it will be consistant and uniform if you under aneal then it wont

Yep me too. About every 3rd firing is best IME

Guest richness

I've spoken to you about this privately but i'll air it here for discussion too Si mate:

My experience with brass is that it lasts well in match chambers and with regular annealing. And if you don't go mad, the primer pockets don't prematurely kill the brass. Yet after a while it just goes off and accuracy goes off slightly without any other signs. Eg, with my 204 i got to about 15x and I happened to buy some new brass and whilst zeroing shoot the old and the new alongside, with no other variables. The new brass groups were very significantly tighter than the other older brass was. I was shooting at 150y with my latest and tightest load. The new brass was practically a single hole whilst the older was a perfectly decent little cloverleaf. Not a big thing but everything is a big thing ;) . Not a matter of less flyers or anything, just simply tighter across the board.

This reminded me of something baldie said to me once when I was admiring his annealing machine "you can keep them going consistently for ages by annealing but there comes a point when they just lose their spring and you need to bin them all and start with fresh brass"

It is quite a long time though, and it depends on the cal, i'm sure. I recently compared 9x brass to 2xbrass in 6.5x47 lapua and there was not a jot of difference. But i am alert to the fact that if things just start sliding gently sometime around 12x i will try new brass (but it may be 20x in 6.5x47 - i don't yet know)

Archived