Big cal for long range but maintaining barrel life

Guest richness

Guest richness

Hi guys. Planning my next build. Please check my logic here and suggest as you see fit:

Shooting 6.5mm 130gr heads with BC of about .5 @ about 3050fps.

Seems a big step up from my 243 which shot 105amax BC of .5 at abou the same speed, although on paper it's little better. This makes me think that sheer weight is a key factor WRT bullet stability in the wind

I like the 6.5x47 because the brass is strong and consistent and importantly barrel life is really good, giving me time to get quarter minute loads developed and get to really know the rifle well and therefore shoot better with it.

Next step: more wind-cheating abilities. Actually I'm not necessarily worried about more slipperiness in the wind, just more end of the day stability: How far is it until the bullet is just dancing around in the wind randomly? I feel that pure weight, not just BC helps here. + I want a cal with really good brass that needs no messing on. Norma, Nosler, Lapua. I want 2000 rounds of .5moa barrel life

Initially i fancied 284 with rl17 (.65BC @ 3000fps) but i feel it is a fussy cal and i don;t want to have to upsize 6.5/284 brass really. And i don't mind recoil and high running costs so that made me think 300WSM (better barrel life than 7WSM or SAUM) Is 2000 reasonable at a push?

Availability of high-BC hunting BT-heads plays a role. As much as match ammo is the way forward ballistically, I'll almost certainly end up shooting something with a plunger (but excluding amax) so Nosler BT, Accubond etc

So:

Much better than 6.5mm in the wind at long range

Must be inherently accurate cal and have pukka brass

Heavier pills/cals preferred, all else being equal

Barrel life must be 2000+ at .5moa

I don't mind a thump

i don't mind a long action

I don't mind a big 30" barrel (this is not a tactical build)

High-BC plastic-tipped hunting heads will need to be available for the cal.

Sorry to launch into another "i need a calibre for xand y" debate. I'm just looking for specific experiences as to the pros and cons of the various big cals with over 2000rounds of barrel life but without giving up too much BC to get that extra life...

Cheers, Richard

Quite simply, .284 using either 162 Amax or 180 Berger hunting VLD's.

Where do you get a fussy caliber from? I do agree that RL17 wouldn't be my choice of powder, but N160/165/560 Hodgons H4831SC should all be very stable.

Expanding from 6.5 to 7mm is very easy.

Initially i fancied 284 with rl17 (.65BC @ 3000fps) but i feel it is a fussy cal and i don;t want to have to upsize 6.5/284 brass really.

Fussy it certainly isn't!

I've shot one in F class for 2 years and my one barrel has over 2000 rounds down it and is still going strong.

One of the best long range calibers with good barrel life its only rival is the 7WSM but that has a short but very effective life.

The 6.5's will eat tubes quicker if pushed.

Cheers

Dave

Guest richness

OK, thanks guys. So 284 a contender for sure.

Can I equal the ballistics and still get good barrel life with a bigger calibre?

Your heads on the way tomorrow Spud mate - i'll send you the tracking number but i reckon they'll land with you on Friday

Archived