Yesterdays Views

Guys

just a quickie, was out as a guest on some fantastic ground not many miles from me on the Lakeland Fells.

I met my pal and two other lads nearby before dawn, we were each alloted an area to "cover" and told to take only Reds (hinds and calves), we then set out onto the hill before going our separate ways. Because of the nature of the ground, we go high and "drop" into areas of sitka where we have a good view of the ground below.

My area

DSCN0483.jpg

Immediately in front, 1st edge of sitka is 270yards, second edge is, well a bit farther ;)

You can maybe see two does just on the other side of the wall near the gulley?

DSCN0482.jpg

The hill above, to edge was about 500 yards.

DSCN0485.jpg

I sat for about four hours and saw quite alot of does, but no reds. After a bite to eat, I watched a fox emerge from the tree line below and slowly work his way up a stone wall feeding as he went. I watched him for an hour, untill in fact I heard a shot echo out about a half mile away, I knew then there would be no reds seen and as its a very difficult area to extract, I levelled the crosshairs on the fox and he was sent to foxy heavan by a 130 Barnes TSX (distance was 260yards)

I then trogged the 1/2 mile mile to one of the lads who had dropped a hind.

Stupidly, I was first assistance to him, so we dragged it about 500 yards to the edge of the forest to an area we could get a 4WD to (this took an hour!)

DSCN0488.jpg

A fantastic, tiring but thoroughly enjoyable day.

Guest 308Panther

Awesome stuff Ronin,

I am not sure why you say," Stupidly, I was first assistance to him"

unless it was to mean leaving your position...

(Extra help in drags is always appreciated.) and you werent

seeing anything anyway....It just helps break up the slow time.

But then too,Seems like often times when its time to drag off your

own kills,there is no one around to help.

Obviously,I wasnt there,but to me it sounds like ya did the right thing

by helpin out a fellow hunter.Nothing wrong with that at all.

308Panther

Panther

I am typical of some Brits who use sarcasm as humour, I knew that following the shot, there would be no more deer seen in the immediate vicinity, so I was not going to be successful that day. I double timed over to my mate to give him a hand with the hind, but being first there, I got to do twice the work as the other two who arrived several minutes later when we had dragged her most of the way to the exctraction point.

Yes, I am very lucky to have these stunning areas to "work" in.

You must have similar areas in the States?

Guest 308Panther

Ronin,

Not sure...Thats one of them calls where ya got to be there.

And you got to know who your huntin with...I mean really know them

and how well they can shoot too.

For as much as 15 minutes after hearin a shot,it can be the best time to get a shot

at a deer,yourself.It stands to reason that the deer your mate shot isnt the only one in a half mile.

So his shot mighta spooked something loose to head your way.(Had this happen a few times) Also he mighta missed.(also had this happen,My sisters "whatever" shot and missed a doe,she came out on the trail 20 yrds from me...I was lookin the wrong way and caught the movement outta the corner of my eye and turned,The doe and I both reacted, I turned and shot as she cleared the trail opening in 3 strides,and I missed.)

But like I said earlier...You werent seeing anything.

And you could have kicked one up on the walk over.

Now I am not real sure on how your deer react on being kicked up...

But our Whitetails will often run about 20 yrds stop and look back

to see what kicked them up...as their intial reaction is flight.

If you can feeze fast enough and stand quietly many time it will

give the time needed for a shot,if the shooter moves really slow.

As for the scenery...The pics view was breathtaking for me.

And I see I am gonna have to take some pics of my area(and not of just my kills) to return

the favor for you guys...

I hunt an area that is "hill country" much of it is sandstone,too.Some of the hills are "rolling"

and some are steep too,there are lots of "draws" or valley's and some are ravines as they are so steep and deep.It reminds me alot of the foothills to the Rocky Mts in some ways.I just dont have the really big mountains in the background

We call the region I hunt the Coulee Region.

Try this..http://www.library.wisc.edu/etext/WIReader/Images/WER0973.html

and the next image is pretty good too.

They are pretty good images of what things are like by me.

Or use Google maps and type in Blair,WI...use the Hybrid tab so you have a mix

of satelite and roads.Move the map so your going S on 53..till ya get to Bradley Rd(E)

Follow Bradley where it ties into Lone Star..Keep going East on Bradley-Lonestar till

ya get to Hwy S...Take Hwy S South and follow that for a bit till ya get to Nelson Dr.

Stop...Move back North on S...The farm you are lookin for is the second one on the right.

It has a large Rectangular Concrete Barnyard/Cowpen and then there is like a left hook

too the slabwork....Thats my uncles farm.My blind is in the smaller clump of trees

to the left of the top end of the slab.

Till I can steal Angels camera thats about the best way I can get ya the idea how the

land lays.

308Panther

Panther

I hear what you say about the next 15 mins after the shot, but having sat for four hours watching for sign of any movement, I was certain that nothing would run up hill towrds my position- as it happened there were a couple of guys working on a dry stone wall farther down the valley who saw a large stag come out on the river side, but that was well beyond me.

I'm certain I made the right move, there is always another day to excercise my flat feet (vim) ;)

The views Angel has taken are stunning, I envy your position in na country where you are free to own what you like and have open land to shoot on, very different over here.

On the subject of photography, this is my second passion (well third after the fairer sex), there is an excellent photographer who uses this site (Stag1933), his work is probably the best wildlife shots of an non proffessional I have seen, I hope he continues to post his work.

He also staks near to the area theses pictures were taken and might be able to out do my pitiful attempts with some views of the lakeland fells in bloom.

Guest 308Panther

You mean there was more than just a shot ?

No wonder ya got up and double timed it outta there.

I will pass your comments on to Angel when she catches up to me

She is supposed to be comin up by my folks on Mon or so.

She more than likely will invite ya to her forum too.

Its all amatuer stuff,so we have a bit of humour in there too.

Look for the addy in the links on this site.

I agree,Stag's pics are awesome.

I only hope that when I get as old as he is

I am half as good a photographer.

Oh....If ya ever get tired of chasin the fairer sex.

Here is an almost surefire tip to get them to chase you.

Pay for things with $100 Dollar Bills. :blink:

Especially in the Pub or Nightclubs.

308Panther

Archived