so what is the best barrel at the moment

looks like Iam ready for a new barrel its holding copper really bad,still shoots well but must be well on its way out,just wondering what make is the considered the best at the moment,previoulsy on a LW which has been very good.

Iam first going to get it bore scoped thats after its properly cleaned which is taking for ever

Hi,

There are very few 'poor' barrels at the moment. Avoid cheap barrels from the eastern bloc or of military manufacture and you should be fine. Any barrel from a known 'name' manufacturer and configured to meet your needs (weight, length, twist etc.)should be acceptable. Of more importance is ensuring that your new barrel is threaded, chambered and fitted correctly. The finest barrel will not give the desired degree of accuracy if it is fitted sloppily,

Alan

Hi,

There are very few 'poor' barrels at the moment. Avoid cheap barrels from the eastern bloc or of military manufacture and you should be fine. Any barrel from a known 'name' manufacturer and configured to meet your needs (weight, length, twist etc.)should be acceptable. Of more importance is ensuring that your new barrel is threaded, chambered and fitted correctly. The finest barrel will not give the desired degree of accuracy if it is fitted sloppily,

Alan

Could not put it better myself, very wise words Alan.

Sporting rifles; hold off on the bore scope, it won't tell you if you barrel is no good. best let the paper punching decide on that, and only until your grouping goes out the window then consider a barrel or bedding.

With your trouble cleaning; did you have the barrel from the start and did you attempt to shoot it in first? Just wondering why you’re having copper build up? Copper build up is generally not a sign that the barrel is on its way out.

Have you tried soaking in any bore foams?

Lee

Could not put it better myself, very wise words Alan.

Sporting rifles; hold off on the bore scope, it won't tell you if you barrel is no good. best let the paper punching decide on that, and only until your grouping goes out the window then consider a barrel or bedding.

With your trouble cleaning; did you have the barrel from the start and did you attempt to shoot it in first? Just wondering why you’re having copper build up? Copper build up is not generally a sign that the barrel is on its way out.

Lee

Oh yes had the barrel from new its the 2nd one on the rifle since owning it,run in corectly and it never misses a beat on paper even now,just cant get my head around the amount of copper thats coming out,Ive been cleaning it all day with Barns CR10

I get so fed up Ive now filled it with bore shine to soak over night,will see what comes out in the morning

id be more concerned the barrel would suit my bullet of choice more then the make!

think theres a couple of bore sizes in 6mm with some being .237 &some .236 if i remember correctly!

skinny for scenars & amax & thinner bullets & "big" bore for bergers ect!

cheers Andy

have you changed cleaning products recently from what you use normaly?

no I have always used the same but never used a brush,not on this barrel,Iam thinking the copper may have built up over time as its been on over 3 years,

Barns CR10 usually gets everything out with little effort,I cleaned the rifle Saturday and all seemed well,I put 3 test shost through it to test powder and then decided to clean again,this is when the copper decided to come back again,by the looks of the patch it looked like it had never been cleaned.

it all seems to be in throat as I have been working the patch around that area and drawing it back instead of going to the muzzle to try and get the copper out

bet u have a nice fat carbon ring striping copper off pete!

Andy

thats what Iam thinking,hence the need to bore scope it,Ive run Kroil through it and brake cleaner to remove carbon and there does seem to be any signs,not on the patch anyway,

might have to try some of this magic KG1 stuff I keep hearing about

thats what Iam thinking,hence the need to bore scope it,Ive run Kroil through it and brake cleaner to remove carbon and there does seem to be any signs,not on the patch anyway,

get the jb bore paste on it

had same problem mate

nothing ever showed on patch with kroil or tetra!

took a good caining with a brush to break it up & inspected with bore scope!

could feel a tightening when the patch was drawn back to the chamber if i went steady!

cheers Andy

had same problem mate

nothing ever showed on patch with kroil or tetra!

took a good caining with a brush to break it up & inspected with bore scope!

could feel a tightening when the patch was drawn back to the chamber if i went steady!

cheers Andy

it does feel tight when I draw the patch back in the throat,I will see what comes out in morning after its been soaking all night and give it a good brushing again

it does feel tight when I draw the patch back in the throat,I will see what comes out in morning after its been soaking all night and give it a good brushing again

Are your loads running faster than normal? A sign of a carbon build up in the throat is bore constriction giving higher pressures and increased velocities. My 17 Rem goes crazy pressures when it build up - it is on the way out now though due to savage fire cracking. :lol:

Are your loads running faster than normal? A sign of a carbon build up in the throat is bore constriction giving higher pressures and increased velocities. My 17 Rem goes crazy pressures when it build up - it is on the way out now though due to savage fire cracking. :lol:

I had carbon build up in my last barrel using Varget it wrecked the brass,I got it out using kroil and a brush,come to think of it I have changed bullet weight and the velocity hasnt dropped a lot even though the bullet is heavier,

I will be pissed off if it is carbon as I have always been anal about removing it.probably time to re think cleaning products

Buy your self a bronze brush.

I never used a bronze or even a nylon brush, I read once that if you have to use a brush you're using the wrong chemical! I now know thats absolute tosh.

All I have used is KG Carbon remover and then Shooters choice extra strength, the rifle (7 WSM) was like a laser until earlier this year during a competition with 750 rounds through it,it said enough is enough.

I spent two days soaking the barrel in KG carbon and then brushing with a bronze, every time I thought it was clean I did it again, every time the first patch came out black and then blue, and just to finish it off I used JB bore paste paying attention to the first 6 inches of barrel.

Outcome, a rifle that could shoot 5 shot sub 1 inch groups again at 300 yrds.

I have seen people scrub their rifles with a bronze like I never have, and their rifles still shoot extremely well, testament to this is that I have shot against them in competition.

Basically I just don't think you can remove heavy carbon and copper fouling without a bronze. Having just bought a bore scope I will now be able to tell what works and what doesn't.

I am another that likes a realy clean barrel i always use a bronze brush ,i have never had a problem with carbon like some ,most folk that have probs with carbon are the ones that think you will damage the bore with bronze brushing so they dont brush, and no chemical in the world will get of baked on carbon,you will damge the crown so be carfull bringing brush out of crown and back in slowly

Hi,

Alan

Absolutely spot on Alan

I understand you are brining in Lilja barrels in the near future ? Am I right ?

I will be in touch soon to discuss my next toy

If you are thinking about another "hot" calibre, then have a look at a lilja 3 groove. I,ve been using these for 3 years and the throats definatly wear slower on them.

Absolutely spot on Alan

I understand you are brining in Lilja barrels in the near future ? Am I right ?

I will be in touch soon to discuss my next toy

Hi London Hunter,

Word gets around! Yes I will be importing some more Lilja barrels along with some other items such as BAT actions. We are renewing the relevant licences and finalising our projected purchases for the next 18 months or so.

Best regards

Alan

I am another that likes a realy clean barrel i always use a bronze brush ,i have never had a problem with carbon like some ,most folk that have probs with carbon are the ones that think you will damage the bore with bronze brushing so they dont brush, and no chemical in the world will get of baked on carbon,you will damge the crown so be carfull bringing brush out of crown and back in slowly

Recommendation enough about the use of a bronze.

Archived