foxing with my .204

griffshrek

First off I am sorry there are no pics yet , I did take pics on the phone camera but the computer will not let me download them (still working on it)

anyway to the story ,I went last Friday evening to have a little bash at the local foxes with my newish .204.

I tried several locations and did not get a sniff, but it was a nice dry night with a touch of cold coming in a good night to be out away from the noise and bustle of the real world.

I walked this one field found a nice comfortable place to sit and again tried calling, the resident heard of cows that were in the field found great interest in my fox calling and "all came a looking" . They were making a terrible racket all clustered around me , I didn't think any foxes would show because of the noise , I decided to have a quick look with the lamp and a fox was sat about 120yds from me just watching the noisy show .

My .204 Rem Mod 7 has a Taiblo A9 torch mounted on the scope this at 120yds lit the fox up like daylight , I put the cross hairs on his chest squeezed the trigger and heard the satisfying thwack of the impact and one dead fox . I walked about 15 minutes to another field away from the cows and called for about 4 minutes a quick look with the lamp showed me a good set of eyes at 500yds .

I called for less than a minute and decided to have a quick flash with the lamp to see the progress of the fox , low and behold the fox was sat 40yds from me it must of run like the wind ,cross hairs on the chest squeezed the trigger and again heard the satisfying thwack of the impact and it dropped to the shot

The fist fox shot was a dog fox & the second a vixen both were in A1 condition the vixen was very big.

Last night I could only go out for a quick look I managed to call in a very skittish fox to 80yds , the field is a good 120 acre in size and in the middle of this field is a little overgrown wooded copse 40yds x 40yds this field has a arable crop that stands at 6"-8" . Through sheer bad shooting I took a snap shot there was that very hollow thump sound and I knew the shot was not 100%.

After the shot I lost sight of the fox I spent a good 45 minutes searching I was 60yds from the wooded copse and searched this also but could not find the fox. I hate the idea of a possible wounded animal and first thing in the morning me and the Jack Russell went to search the field in daylight .

I believed the fox was dead and hidden out of sight in the low crop, the wooded copse was the first thing I came to so me and the dog started to search this , I couldn't believe it there was the fox 5 yds inside the copse I must have stepped over it when searching , from the way it was laying it just dropped dead when it hit cover how i missed it i dont know.

I examined the fox and could see I hit it side on through the back of the ribs/gut the exit wound was the size of my fist with its guts hanging out , the damage was massive I cant believe it ran that far with this amount of damage, this fox was huge and also in great condition .

Three foxes over two nights the little .204 has showed me it can produce the goods .

Nice shooting and a good bit of sport. Great to find those missing on the night. I have a lot of success with my .204 and 9 times out of 10 they have dropped on the spot. Have had a few like the one you mention but have always picked them the next day in a ditch or cover not too far from the spot of impact. Shot one on Tues night running 90degrees from me and the bullet went straight through with no expansion whatsoever, but this one dropped on the spot. Shows you that nothing is 100% sure when you are shooting. Well done.

Finally christened my 204 ruger last night. From a massive range of 40 yards. Id forgot what a rush it is shooting them under the lamp. Been shooting with nv normally

Archived