17 Fireball

spanner

Was thinking of one as a truck gun for Vermin, mainly longer range Crows and Rabbits. The idea of low noise and recoil levels with a very flat trajectory appeal as does the fact it could be approved for Vermin in Lancs.

Does anyone use one and if so how do you find it. Would I loose alot cutting the barrel back to 20 iches or so to keep it handy with a Moderator fitted?

I don't reload at present, could anyone give me an approximate cost of the Factory ammo and how much reloads work out at? Would it be possible to load this calibre with a small hand press?

Last question, other than Cooper and Remington what other factory rifles are there? Would love a Cooper, I owned one for a few years in 223 but funds are limited unless by magic I came across one SH. Thanks.

SPANNER- i have A COOPER 38 in 17fb reload my own with 221 fb brass shoots nice tight groups out to 200yds.

it is an ideal short range vermin gun, charlie gets his share too with a 25gn berger just rolls them over.

i would have a bbl at 22" as mine is ,as for factory fodder iv never bought a factory round for any rifle for 20yrs reloading is the way for the 17,s i think factory ammo-remington20accutip is about £40 for 20 :o :o very expensive i can reload for about 30p a go only need a few bunnys to offset the costs.if its a truck gun for vermin i would look at a.22hornet this will do all your vermin and a sight cheaper than the fb.factory rifles are limited and i wouldnt have a remmy given.reloading is as easy as any calibre with a good press but with small calibres you have to know what you are doing. small increases in powder can give huge pressure spikes thats not good for your health if it goes tits up.

Guest richness

Was thinking of one as a truck gun for Vermin, mainly longer range Crows and Rabbits. The idea of low noise and recoil levels with a very flat trajectory appeal as does the fact it could be approved for Vermin in Lancs.

Does anyone use one and if so how do you find it. Would I loose alot cutting the barrel back to 20 iches or so to keep it handy with a Moderator fitted?

I don't reload at present, could anyone give me an approximate cost of the Factory ammo and how much reloads work out at? Would it be possible to load this calibre with a small hand press?

Last question, other than Cooper and Remington what other factory rifles are there? Would love a Cooper, I owned one for a few years in 223 but funds are limited unless by magic I came across one SH. Thanks.

I have a r700 in FB and it is a belting calibre. Mine has the 1/9 twist so will stabilise the 25gr Vmax. IME this is the MAIN concern when choosing a .17. The BC of the various bullet heads is dismal with the exception of the excellent 25 gr Vmax with a BC of .23. But you need 1/9 to stabilise it though.

The round is not fussy IME to get right and costs about 30p. This is only a shade more than HMR! You get 223-beating ballistics, very little noise, and yes a long barrel is not necessary. Mine is 22" IIRC and I get 3720fps without punishing the brass. It can shoot lots of rounds without fouling and the brass seems very strong to me. A thoroughly recommend choice for the needs you suggest, I reckon mate

PS i do all my loading with a little lee hand press and much prefer the feel it gives over the "oooh, i could crush a grape" uber mega vice reloading presses that have to be secured to a desk of sheer Unobtainium to resize a tiny wee soft piece of brass...

No mate - don't know anyone who's got them going in a 1/10 :(

richness is right-i tried every formula going for the 25vmax in the end i threw the remainder of the box into the scrap bin there too long for the cooper barrels on the other hand the berger 25gn match/varmint shoot small groups.

Guest richness

richness is right-i tried every formula going for the 25vmax in the end i threw the remainder of the box into the scrap bin there too long for the cooper barrels on the other hand the berger 25gn match/varmint shoot small groups.

Yeah trust me, spanner: Buy the remington with the 1/9 mate and save the lovely cooper idea for another day

Guest richness

Thanks. Is yours the SPS, if so how do you find the stock of a bipod?

Yep awful stock but fully bedded and stiffened and it is now great. I must say that the Devcon removes practically all the flex in the stock and is a total must-do when dealing with these nasty low-end plastic stocks.

• 2 weeks later...

i've got one in remington model 7 preditor ! 22" barrell fluted 1-9 twist .

Cracking round shot a vixen Saturday night 231 m .

Forgot to add reloading costs.

100 rem .17 fireball cases are £ 60 i'm up to 6 reloads and only 1 case is U/s (crushed it by mistake)

1lb H498 £ 39.00 16gr per load = 0ver 400 loads per lb

primers 3p each

25 gr v max £ 20 100

I use a Remington Model 7 CDL in 17FB and IMO it's a brilliant cartridge. Way more consistent than my HMR. But the downside, when using a centrefire for volume shooting, is that reloading can become a PITA.

Guest richness

True but I've been surprised how many steps I can leave out or shorten without accuracy being affected. It helps that it is not a fussy cartridge at all.

I have left out all the cleaning of the cases. I simply lube, FL, trim, chamfer and prime. The load isn't fussy to within about .4gr so I hardly wait for the scales to slow down before I whack it in. Seating is fussy so I'm always careful there. I can load 100 in the time it would take me to drive to the rfd and back for hmr rounds.

I'm also not annealing until about the 5th firing (instead of about 3x) so time saved there too

True but I've been surprised how many steps I can leave out or shorten without accuracy being affected. It helps that it is not a fussy cartridge at all.

I have left out all the cleaning of the cases. I simply lube, FL, trim, chamfer and prime. The load isn't fussy to within about .4gr so I hardly wait for the scales to slow down before I whack it in. Seating is fussy so I'm always careful there. I can load 100 in the time it would take me to drive to the rfd and back for hmr rounds.

I'm also not annealing until about the 5th firing (instead of about 3x) so time saved there too

Richness my fb is very powder fussy its got to be within.1 -.2 to get repeat accuracy but its no big deal,i agree about the case prep i dont go to town on the cases i tumble them[100] every 3rd firing and have never annealed the brass im on at the moment -221 formed to .17 iv just got a few 25gn berger varmints that shoot bug holes with benchmark and they are mustard on bunnys in fact going out tonight if its not too windy then i will take the 6ppc.

Where from ?? P Lawman quoted me £ 60 plus P&P

I had my 1st lot from reloading solutions I think they where £47 for 100 cases

and next lot of 200 from midway uk. on midway they are £42 but post is a standard £8 i think !

im lucky as I use a rfd not to far from me. and he gets me anything for the cost on midway site.

but doesn't charge me any post to get it from them.

matter a fact i bet he could get you some and post it to you cheaper then you could get it off them with post !

thats how silly midways postage fees are

I had my 1st lot from reloading solutions I think they where £47 for 100 cases

and next lot of 200 from midway uk. on midway they are £42 but post is a standard £8 i think !

im lucky as I use a rfd not to far from me. and he gets me anything for the cost on midway site.

but doesn't charge me any post to get it from them.

matter a fact i bet he could get you some and post it to you cheaper then you could get it off them with post !

thats how silly midways postage fees are

Please ask him if he can !

Coldweld

Archived