neck shots

Guest northernchris

There is no correct answer to the neck shot question except each and every situation demands the stalker to make their own decision on shot placement knowing their own shooting ability.

Hello as stated by other members all shots are riskie.I take it as it comes & my shooting/feeling & rest.My shooting is normally of very high standard on my roe/vermin but lately iv not done well & missed a fox on a morning stalk at 192m.I havent had a problem on lost deer for 7-8yrs due to my own mistake & my last buck shot perfect ran 40m into asparaguss with heavy weed growth on an evening.I ended up going back home 5mins away to get my dog & 1min in it was found shot perfect HH/LL.I know the risks with head/neck shot & its on my own back if it goes wrong but as an experianced stalker you survay the situation & the command you have over the beast if such problems may occur even with a rib shot.I always make sure i have a good command over them more so reds on the hill for second shots or plenty scope for it.

Nice thread,

it shows that most chaps on this site are not the real problem.

Because it is such an issue it proves that people are concerned,

willing to learn out of their mistakes and improve.

One couldn't ask for much more.

The problem is the large ammount of "hill billy's" out there

that don't give a that which promotes growth and vigour. They don't take the time or interest

to be on these sites, have the same rifle and scope for

decades: no need for improvement. Totally normal to

win some and loose some.

Over time I'll forget my good shots, never the cock ups.

edi

Guest 308Panther

Edi,

Agreed...There are alot of "Hunters"...(And I am using that term loosely as more fall under the "Butcher" category)...Here in the States that live by the motto...

If its Brown its Down.

We all know the type....We all have seen the videos their buddies post on YouTube as a joke or to get a laugh.And we all shake our heads in disgust and wonderment as to how somebody could be so freakin stupid.In many many cases over here,I wonder how much the shooting would improve if the shooter were not wearing "Beer Goggles".

Huntsman,

I am saddened to hear your friends experience has soured you on a certain type of shot.And yes it is true there is always tomorrow.....That Trophy Buck/Stag may not be there tomorrow.As someone else took the shot.

As bad as you feel about it,Your friend feels much worse,I am sure.

I hope that the situation doesnt stress the friendship and future hunting sessions.

I wish you and your friend better luck in the future.

308Panther

308 panther,

Your right my friend did feel worse, but he learn a good lesson and it brought him back down to earth. I was only inconvenienced by the episode and we got the deer which was important, expect he would be worse if we hadn't. No chance of it upsetting the friendship. A good lesson learned.

Thanks to everyone for all the replies , Edi has covered it all in his reply, good to see that most of us out there are responsible hunters.

dave

I agree with the last comments, particularly with reference to the concern of members on here, its to be hoped that others learn from it before we end up with even more antis demanding even more tests and legislation. I feel that learning from experienced responsible hunters has far more effect and merit than a shedful of meaningless tests and many on here do that to help others, well done lads.

Redfox

Archived