NEW MODERATOR

Guest Sprags

I currentley have a PES on my .243 but the rifle still seems loud (ask Vim) so, I am looking at a new mod for the old remmy.

What I do not want to do is open up a can of worms here, but, and a big but............ which mod would be suitable for a working class guy like me? I know the ball park figure for a mod is around the £200 mark but what if baffles do need replacing, now this question has to be asked after the previous thread/posts that we have all seen regarding certain mods but I am in no way trying to relight the argument between supplier and customer I merely wish to know what mod would be best? and if baffles were needed at a later date what would the cost of those be?

What I dont want to do is buy a crap mod, but on the flip side of that coin I also do not want to buy something that will cost me 2/3 of the price to replace the baffles, remember, I am a poor man!!

So please advise me correctly.

Thanks

Sprags!!

You don't say what cal your Remy is in?

I've got a T8 I swap between rifles it does the job fine and is under £200, if it wears out so be it, like barrels they are a wearable comdity. I think with T8's if they break after the warranty period they will still give you up to 60% off another if I remember rightly.

Cheers

Dave

You don't say what cal your Remy is in?

I've got a T8 I swap between rifles it does the job fine and is under £200, if it wears out so be it, like barrels they are a wearable comdity. I think with T8's if they break after the warranty period they will still give you up to 60% off another if I remember rightly.

Cheers

Dave

I have got to agree with 6mmbr Dave as I have had a the same T4 since we were first allowed c/f mods and its been on board a 223, 243,and now sits proudly on my new 6mmbr norma and its still going strong and doing what it should,and should anything happen to it i would replace it with the same.

Sprags

I take it by your post that you`ve narrowed your choice down to the ATec or Stealth.Both are quality lightweight over barrel mods based on a baffle stack system and rear expansion chamber

The ATec protrudes from the barrel by 150mm and sleeves back around 100mm with a diameter of 44mm

The Stealth 7 protrudes by 110mm and sleeves back 160mm with a diameter of 48mm (similar size to the Reflex T8)

Both mods weigh in at around 550 grams so the only difference is the Atec adds an extra 50mm to the overall barrel length

Both mods cost £280

The ATec comes with a 2 year warranty and the Stealth 12 months

Atec replacement baffles will cost £70 and Stealth £50

The baffles will wear to a certain extent on both mods but I personally haven`t found any loss of performance due to this on either model yet

In my opinion on a 243 the ATec is slightly quieter (and I mean slightly) to my ears but the Stealth has a better balance on the rifle due to the fact that it sleeves further back on the barrel

You have to decide what compromise suits you best but both mods are at the top of their league in my opinion

Hope this info helps

sprags

if you go out lamping solo and use a scope mounted lamp go with a smaller diameter mod like the a-tec or jet-z, when the

mod gets to around 50mm diameter you get a lot glare though the scope due to the mods larger diameter i had a wild cat 250 which is 50mm and it was a pain in the arse the worst one in every department. been using mods for around 17 years had most of them. you won't go wrong with the a-tec or jet-z both excellent.

sprags

if you go out lamping solo and use a scope mounted lamp go with a smaller diameter mod like the a-tec or jet-z, when the

mod gets to around 50mm diameter you get a lot glare though the scope due to the mods larger diameter i had a wild cat 250 which is 50mm and it was a pain in the arse the worst one in every department. been using mods for around 17 years had most of them. you won't go wrong with the a-tec or jet-z both excellent.

Good points 6BR the mods can reflect unless they have one of those neo sleeves on can`t they. ;)

The one thing I`d suggest is if that you did go for a Jetz ( which would be an excellent choice)is to cut the barrel down a few inches if practical to help the handleability of the weapon :D

Sprags if i was you i would stick with the pes,if you really want a change the T8 has never failed me yet.

I may just do that yet Martyn, stick with the PES I mean, I also like the T8 a mate has one and its a good mod.

Now without trying to cause upset amongst the troops, I thank you all for your replies but, I would rather take advice from guys on my level i.e. customers, not suppliers. It's a known fact (after a certain thread) that certain folk have a vested interest in 'pushing' their product so they will, without any concern for the buyer, recommend their own product at every opportunity, I would much rather listen to the guy that has bought a mod and used it in the field and can give it a 'hand on heart' report! I know I digress but what if a mod was to cost £300, can the consumer really be expected to pay 2/3 of that cost in replacing the baffles after a short while? this does worry me as it should worry everyone. But each to their own, I would like to buy a new mod knowing that should it fail after a short period of time the supplier/manufacturer will support the customer by replacing the failed parts at a reasonable price. I may just stickwith the PES as Martyn suggests yet, I dont know.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Sprags

I have heard good things of them, if it is better than the other makes I don't know. You will have to let us know how you go on with it. ;)

Didn’t somebody have a signature “criticize man rifle or dog and you best be prepared to do battle” maybe he should of added “and criticize his moderator and prepare to go to war.” :lol::lol:

Best rgds

B-b

Guest 308Panther

I think I figured out why moderators is such a touchy subject......

Somebody has yet to figure out how to install one on a woman.

308Panther

sprags

This glare is easily eliminated with a strip of black electrical tape accross the bottom 1/2 inch or so of the scope lens, just put in on the outer tube though not the actual glass. Does the job a treat, just needs replacing regularly.

Once you have one there is no going back.

A

Archived