530 yard rabbit with 6.5x47

Si-Snipe

FWIW… I would not shoot towards a house with a calibre probably (I say probably since a quick look at “guidance for police” excludes your calibre for rabbits) not conditioned for vermin. Then videotape it and post it on the WWW.

The backstop consists of a hard stone wall with all the ricochet potential that implies. To use a bullet that is not designed to expand in a reliable way makes a skip off the top of that wall a very real risk. With a house in the background I’d have nightmares over that shot.

FWIW I used to watch bullets bounce at 90 degrees off brick walls etc on ops...probably around 30% used to do really strange things in directions you wouldn’t believe.

Let’s hope your FIO is not having a slow day and gets to playing detective.

Just to clear a couple of things up I do have vermin stated for 6.5x47 and secondly the shot may look like the house is in LOS but I can assure you it is down a heavily sloping valley with a significant bank going up behind the wall so the shots are landing in the wall or ground below it. The house is in no danger otherwise I would not be taking the shots. If you have been down to where the shots landed and from where they were taken you would get the true impression.

Sorry mate I assume by LOS you mean line of sight.

If you have a vermin condition then no problems there. I did say “probably”

However it is my opinion that bullets do not obey any LOS rule that I know of. There are plenty of examples of people getting hit by errant bullets doing strange things. It may be the lens but if that house is within your danger area for that calibre, i.e. the bullet has enough energy to reach it then that shot was IMVHO ill advised. As energy dissipates the likelihood of a ricochet increases even in soft earth especially when using target or FMJ bullets. They even ricochet out of purpose built backstops on ranges. Very few backstops we use in the field are at a backstop ideal angle.

I will defer to your judgment since I really do not know what the situation looks like in reality on the ground and I mean no disrespect, but on the face of it and as presented, I would not be happy if I lived in that house with my kids in the garden.

ATB.

Sorry mate I assume by LOS you mean line of sight.

If you have a vermin condition then no problems there. I did say “probably”

However it is my opinion that bullets do not obey any LOS rule that I know of. There are plenty of examples of people getting hit by errant bullets doing strange things. It may be the lens but if that house is within your danger area for that calibre, i.e. the bullet has enough energy to reach it then that shot was IMVHO ill advised. As energy dissipates the likelihood of a ricochet increases even in soft earth especially when using target or FMJ bullets. They even ricochet out of purpose built backstops on ranges. Very few backstops we use in the field are at a backstop ideal angle.

I will defer to your judgment since I really do not know what the situation looks like in reality on the ground and I mean no disrespect, but on the face of it and as presented, I would not be happy if I lived in that house with my kids in the garden.

ATB.

I appreciate your point of view. We are all looking out for the best interests of our sport too so in light of the comments from the cameras perspective so to save more judgement or worry I am cutting off the camera pan as it gives a seriously false impression of the topography and backstop. I should have considered how it would look on film before posting but because I was there as so were my 2 friends we all agreed it to be safe shots.

Cheers,

Si

Si, I saw this with a non shooting colleague this morning, and we were both a little taken aback by this. I've enjoyed reading your previous posts and the diligent care you take, but as a pragmatic piece of advice, I'd pull that Vid off a public forum, or re-edit to remove ANY ambiguity. ATB, David.

Si, I saw this with a non shooting colleague this morning, and we were both a little taken aback by this. I've enjoyed reading your previous posts and the diligent care you take, but as a pragmatic piece of advice, I'd pull that Vid off a public forum, or re-edit to remove ANY ambiguity. ATB, David.

Hi Dave

Yes I decided to trim the video as the panned-out perspective of the camera gives a entirely false impression of the topography and ultimately the back-stop. All that shoot with me know the spot where I take the shots with the 6.5mm and where I take shots with the 17 Rem instead so I am (and they are) fully comfortable with my selection of shots with regard to safety. It's just a shame that on film it looks a bit compromised.

The advice was appreciated,

Regards,

Si

Archived