30-06 using N160

Gandy

Just bought a old 30-06 for stalking as dragging round the RPA was a bit cumbersome.

In short use N160 for my .243 and I notice in the reloading books it seems to be acceptable for use with heavier heads in 30-06. Not going to be reloading for a month or so yet but wondered if anyone had any experience as it seems at the limit of what my work and don't want to waste too much time.

Cheers,

Andy

N160 works with anything from 150gn up in the cartridge. Manuals don't list it for bullets below 165gn generally as it needs a compressed load and MVs still fall a bit down on faster burning powders whose loads are also more economical.

Lyman #49 shows the 150gn Hornady Spire Point # 3031 54.5gn starting load for 2,588 fps and a compressed maximum of 60.5gn for 2,919 fps in Winchester brass and from a 24" test barrel. That compressed top load only produces 50,500 psi using the Piezo method so is mild pressure wise.

The same manual lists starting load 55.5gn and max load 61gn (still compressed) for the 165gn Nosler Ballistic Tip for 2,895 fps at 56,500 psi getting closer to the cartridge's allowed maximum which is 58,725 psi.

Most people who load for the cartridge use 165s or 180s. You don't have to load them right up and can keep recoil and meat damage down if desired.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived