New member to this forum

John_R

Hi all, I joined this forum a while back but only recently started to read through old threads etc.

I am just starting a new project, which will be a 7mm-08 based on a Sako 75, I got one in .308 to use as the donor. Neil McKillop will be building it and I am yet to make some of the key decisions about stock and barrel. I'll go see him next week I hope to get that side of things started.

I want it mostly as a stalking rifle, but also to enjoy the odd day at Bisley where I have done OK with other people's rifles out to 1000 yards. Therefore the spec will be biased to a lighter outfit and I will just have to be patient when on the targets. :)

Hi Elwood,

Hardy a discipline at all if I am honest! :) I am in the BBS NRPC so I go there with those guys when I can, and I also have a NRA membership so that I can go on my own. So far I have done 100 bench, 200 prone, 600 and 1000 prone. Anything over 200 has been either with the club's .308 and borrowing other member's rifles. I got the best results from Phil's 6.5 Nemesis but managed a few v-bulls with the other's too.

To follow up on this:

I have now made my choices, it will be a Pac-nor barrel and a McMillan stock. The donor action shows some wear but nothing major that cannot be trued.

I just need to be patient now while I wait for everything to come together!

...I have now made my choices, it will be a Pac-nor barrel and a McMillan stock. The donor action shows some wear but nothing major that cannot be trued...

Great calibre, barrel maker, and stock, best of luck with your project. I have no experience of other riflesmiths, but Neil is excellent to deal with, top work and a very nice guy too. When next I can afford someting custom, I'll go to him unhesitatingly.

Always thought there was a lot to be said for 7mm-08, seems just right as an all-round cartridge for Brit deer + a lot of other things abroad, and if I ever got sufficiently interested in deer hunting to do something about it (which is increasingly unlikely) that's the calibre I'd go for. Hope you don't make too many (if any) concessions for the target stuff! Bisley's all very well (my last visit was for Pistol AD), but getting out in the woods & fields shooting critters is what it's all about...

Regards, Tony

Elwood, you were there the first time I shot at 1000yds, though you were on your own as opposed to attending a BBS do. I think it was a Friday sometime in spring last year, and one thing that sticks in my memory was shooting Andy's .300 Win Mag with no mod.

Tony, I went for a barrel that will end up a bit heavier than my existing Sako 85 (stainless synth) but not too much, as I want to be able to carry it around without regretting extra weight. I am still to decide on barrel length, but probably 22". The blank is 28" so I have time to think about that, as well as throating depth etc.

I have tried another guy's 7mm-08 and liked it. It fits in with what I want from a calibre, I suspect if I wanted more target use then I might have gone for a 6.5.

.... I am still to decide on barrel length, but probably 22". The blank is 28" so I have time to think about that, as well as throating depth etc....

That would make a very nice, quick-handling woods rifle, but my feeling is that 22" in this calibre will prove uncomfortably noisy! My first rifle in 22-250 had a 22" barrel and the muzzle blast was fearsome, for me and any nearby shooting companions, who used to mutter "Christ!" and flinch a bit... Personally I'd go for 24" but it will be interesting to hear details when you settle on a final spec.

Tony

Archived