Duracoat

Snowz

Unless you have access to a shotblaster and oven to bake the paint with, dont waste your time or money. Duaracoat needs both these to stay on and have a decent life. I must get a job a week that has just been applied straight over unprepared parts, and it comes straight off. Refinished a set of parts from a Tubb 2000 only last week that had been painted this way in ceracote....the paint chipped off with a thumbnail.

Unless you have access to a shotblaster and oven to bake the paint with, dont waste your time or money. Duaracoat needs both these to stay on and have a decent life. I must get a job a week that has just been applied straight over unprepared parts, and it comes straight off. Refinished a set of parts from a Tubb 2000 only last week that had been painted this way in ceracote....the paint chipped off with a thumbnail.

Hi Dave,

I do have acess to both through work was even trying to find the silicone beads for the shot blaster as I am under the impression this is better than sand for this type of work? Correct me if I'm wrong? and we use a large oven at work for burning out plastic out of the blow moulds so hoping I can use this if the temp range is right and no contaminants from the plastic

If Duracoat is not as straight forward as I believed what other alternatives are out there to paint actions and barrels that don't need baking?

I can't afford to be spending a fortune RFDing it to someone like yourself for you to paint when it's only my cheap £100 rimmie I wanted to try it myself as I used to paint cars etc I have a new thumbhole stock coming for it so just want to tidy the metal work up, I've already stripped the barrel and action down to bare metal ready to prep for paint

Any help or advise appreciated

Richard

I've painted my air-rifle with Krylon. Not sure how it reacts to high temperatures, but it will stick to anything (without much prepping). I have laquered it and it has lasted about a year to date.

Pictures supplied if interested.

I used plasti kote before as I could buy it from B&Q but I do remember looking for Krylon before after a google link to an Air soft forum where they all seem to use it.

Will have another look into it

Richard, whatever you do, dont use silicone beads etc, the paint will never stick over that, and you will get fish eyes everywhere.

You want some aluminium oxide, it can be had from machine mart for around £35 a tub.

Duracoat does chemically dry, as its a two pack paint, but baking it, alters its resistance to wear dramatically for the better, as does baking most paints.

For what you want to do, as already suggested, i would get some Krylon. Do a search on the airsoft sites, they tend to sell it. Its a reasonable fix thats cheap.

Richard, whatever you do, dont use silicone beads etc, the paint will never stick over that, and you will get fish eyes everywhere.

You want some aluminium oxide, it can be had from machine mart for around £35 a tub.

Duracoat does chemically dry, as its a two pack paint, but baking it, alters its resistance to wear dramatically for the better, as does baking most paints.

For what you want to do, as already suggested, i would get some Krylon. Do a search on the airsoft sites, they tend to sell it. Its a reasonable fix thats cheap.

Hi Dave

Will get some ally oxide for prepping and Krylon for the painting I only want a cheapish job for now.

my Remmy 260 action wants re blacking but that I'll get done properly by someone with Duracoat or similar but that's a later project

Thanks for the info

Richard

Archived