Which 223 bullet for longer range?

ionic

I'm about to try some longer range work, primarily on crows out to about 500 yards, using my Sauer 202 Outback which wears a 22 inch barrel with a 1:9.5 twist. I currently use Nosler BT in front of 27.7gn of BL-C2 (my homeload), which gives me 3170 fps and a touching group at 100 yards. Have sorted a Nightforce scope from this site (thanks Andy), now I need to sort the ammo. Opinions please.

Hi Ionic you dont say what bullet weight you are using at present only that they are nosler b/t i presume by the amount of powder you are using they are 55grn in my .223 sps i was using same powder as yourselve 28grns with 55grn v-max and at the range you want to shoot up to 500 55grn v-max will punch holes all day in rabbits crows etc no problem i hope this helps you.

Thankyou gentlemen for your pearls of wisdom, much appreciated. Sorry I omitted that I am using 55gn. I think I will try and get some 53gn Hornady GR V-max befor I try heavier bullets. How do they get the higher BC, is it their shape?

Gunnery, I tried 28gn of BL-C2, it gave 3185 fps, but there was a very slight extractor mark on the base of the case, and although the CCI small caliber primer wasn't pan flat, there was slight cratering around the edge of the firing pin strike, so I decided to back the load off slightly. Did your load show any signs of over pressure? Thankyou all again. Ionic

Archived