Tricky Vixen

adam.box

Between the gamekeeper David and me, there isn't too much fox activity that goes unnoticed on the two small farms that he looks after. One is on slightly higher ground and the other is further down the valley with livestock/arable, running down to some gorgeous water meadows all along the boundary which is the river.On the other side of the river are water meadows with small woods and rough patches which aren't shot or keepered at all. All in all its a real foxy place, especially with the safety of the other side. We shoot a combined 40-50 or so foxes a year,he with a .17 Rem and me with a .222.,but as you know any adults that are left now are really cute.

We had been seeing the same fox for some months coming or going from the boundary (and safety of the other side), but as soon as it saw the lamp all we got was a flash and it was gone.A number of hen pheasants had been accounted for in the area so we were keen to get this fox. David set snares all along the crossing points with no luck at all - I kept telling him that we needed to get up early to catch this one but he wasn't keen. After telling him he was getting old, I decided to set the alarm and get out early doors - which I did for 5 mornings over a two week period.I had baited out an area, worked out the range and shooting point and been sure of success.

I saw a fox twice but it wasn't going in the right direction and I couldn't get the shot off safely. Still these sightings got me excited enough to set the alarm again the next week.Coming back on the Wednesday morning at about 7am (after starting at 3!), I ran into the keeper, and told him the tales of early mornings and sightings, and how I was getting a bit fed up but that I had a new plan to get the tricky vixen. He flatly told me that it wouldn't work. A bit pissed off after all the effort, I asked why he he was so sure - and with that typical Suffolk dry tone,he said it was because he had caught it in a snare the week before but hadn't told me just to see how many mornings I could get up!!

I suppose I had to admit defeat to the experienced old bugger - but I will get him back!

Here's one that I did get on an early morning outing.

Thinking about it - I would really appreciate some suggestions of revenge. All I can think of is putting something dead way under his seat in the Landy. Gotta come up with something better than that!

Thinking about it - I would really appreciate some suggestions of revenge. All I can think of is putting something dead way under his seat in the Landy. Gotta come up with something better than that!

Getting some cat’s eyes off the road or anything with a good reflective surface and strategically putting them out in pairs so next time he goes lamping he will think he is inundated with foxes....this usually gets a good reaction :lol:

One of my farmers is very nervous about foxes - thinks they have it in for him.

Early one morning I put a fresh shot one curled up in the corner of his greenhouse.

His wife rang me that afternoon, saying they had got one "trapped" in the greenhouse.

He had bravely managed to poke the 410 barrel through a crack in the door and shot at it 3 times.

They couldn't work out why it didn't move.

I was still laughing when I pulled up at the farm 20 mins later.

Give them both their due, they thought it was funny too.

Hi we had a old keeper similar to your,s always claimed he could tell a any fox on the estate .

Well the beat keeper,s ( one of which was my eldest son ) was having trouble with a fox

and we tried to bring it to book but failed many times,

Anyway I was getting fed up with all the sarcasm. and shot a fox on a bit of ground I had 7 miles away from the estate.]

When I got home I then fired a shot into the ground knowing full well the keeper would hear it

and took the fox into show him the next morning.

And sure enough he identified it as the one that was causing all the trouble all I could say was he had bloody good eye sight to see that from 7 miles away ( Graham Farmer know,s who I mean ) ... Eric

Archived