6mm Dasher, what velocity out of a short barrel?

Hi Chaps

I have a Browning A-Bolt that I am thinking of re-barrelling with a 1-8 twist Walther barrel. The rifle is a mini-mauser length action, so I can’t use a 308 based case so a 6X47 is a no no, at the minute it is a 243 WSSM while I don’t have a problem with that I was thinking of going to a 6mm Dasher. Because the rifle is used with a moderator and always will, (I have enough hearing damage as it is,) I want to keep the barrel as short as possible, 20” maybe 22” max.

All the velocity figures I am seeing are quoting long target barrels, I want to run it on 105s and really need 2850fps to keep it big deer legal for up here in Scotland. I know some of you guys have had Dashers but what velocity could I expect with a short barrel?

My second concern is the primer, I have read recently of problems when using a bolt which was originally made for a large primer, but then re-chambered to a small primer calibre. Now this is not a big problem as I can sleeve the primer hole in the bolt head and turn down the firing pin myself but the question is, is this necessary?

Many thanks

B-b

Hi S.E.

I have been there and done that, a 6.5X47 case will not fit in the action I have tried it, also I don’t want a 6.5 cal’ I want a 6mm. It will be using a custom magazine feeding from the central position; I have the WSSM feeding reliably so I will hopefully get the Dasher to do so also.

Many thanks

B-b

Guest Scotland_Rifles

well i was running my br with a 1/8, 22" barrel and i was getting 3013 [ correction] it was 3003 fps with a 105 larp snr.

i now run a 100 gr and 75 grain v max for charlie but my crono is on lone to a mate on the IOW,

bob.

well i was running my br with a 1/8, 22" barrel and i was getting 3013 [ correction] it was 3003 fps with a 105 larp snr.

i now run a 100 gr and 75 grain v max for charlie but my crono is on lone to a mate on the IOW,

bob.

hi bob

id say ur chrono is reading on the high side there buddy!

u would be doing well to push 2800 with that tube length!

cheers Andy

Guest Scotland_Rifles

hi bob

id say ur chrono is reading on the high side there buddy!

u would be doing well to push 2800 with that tube length!

cheers Andy

i will have to check it when i get it back, its been with drew for the best part of a year and when i asked for it back he said you want to borrow my kit then ??, i must admit i think its had better days but we will see.

not botherd with speed Andy, i do love my 1 wragged hole 3 shot groups though :)

bob.

ps what you flying now.

6mm br ?

204 ?

308 ??

still love the 20 tac that much that the 17hmr lives in the cabinet now.

bob.

Hi bob

I'm using the br mainly at the mo altho I crack out the 308 for gongs and such!

Sold my 22 as not many bunnys about

Still have hmr but all the talk of fireballs have got me thinking lol

Do like the 6br tho with my 55g load its a awsome foxer and the 105 Amax sure does a good job at long range!

Best thing is with my 105g zerrro the 55s are a inch high at 100

Perfect:-p

Also have a no mod zero wich is marked with a sharpie on the turrets!

Cheers Andy

Guest Scotland_Rifles

Hi bob

I'm using the br mainly at the mo altho I crack out the 308 for gongs and such!

Sold my 22 as not many bunnys about

Still have hmr but all the talk of fireballs have got me thinking lol

Do like the 6br tho with my 55g load its a awsome foxer and the 105 Amax sure does a good job at long range!

Best thing is with my 105g zerrro the 55s are a inch high at 100

Perfect:-p

Also have a no mod zero wich is marked with a sharpie on the turrets!

Cheers Andy

nice one Andy.

i love the br but i use it for long range foxing with a 70 gr pill, and the 100s for deer, the 20 tac is the tool of choice for the moment, i also still have the 17hmr but would like to sell it for a fireball i have in the planning with neil.

sadly i too have a nice 22lr, but it will never see the light of day on bunnies, just to far away now for the wee 22lr.

to help

Archived