Clulite SL2 lamp review

Guest richness

Guest richness

I thought I’d check out the Cluson site after becoming a little dissatisfied with my Deben kit, particularly a coiled extension lead that turned out to have the thinnest, most fragile wire in it. Killed the lamp’s whiteness and then broke completely. Also, clamps, head units etc all pretty crappy quality IME

I liked the Clulite site so I gave them a call as I wanted to use my existing batteries and chargers. They put me through to a chap called John in Engineering who I immediately imagined to be wearing a lab coat and drinking tea. He was most helpful and suggested a clever way around the dimmer quandary I was facing. Which was that the dimmer would normally be attached between the lamp unit’s lead and the battery pack, making it miles away from my fingertips. “What I really want is the dimmer mounted on the stock with the switch, all in line and hard-wired. And then about 7ft of coiled wire from the lamp unit to a standard jack plug” says I. “No problem, we’ll just make that up for you sir” says he. “Cool!”, i think. Made to my wishes, same day, no extra charge. That’s much more like it.

Well the lamp arrived sharpish. I chose the SL2 (Shootalite range) as it is proper glass-lensed, adjustable-beam, decent size, v versatile clamp and LOW above the scope, unlike the big 6”lamps that are basically handheld searchlamps attached to the scope, ending up about a foot above the scope, making handling and certainly transport a nightmare! Anyway, after unpacking the unit I found the quality of leads, switches, clamps etc to be a about a million miles better than I am used to with my Deben kit Don’t get me wrong, my Deben Tracer Mini and Atom Tactical 12v have been ok but this kit is the same sort of price but it’s immediately obvious the Clulite kit is about twenty steps up the quality ladder....

I particularly like the scope clamp. It clamps on with a thumbscrew sliding clamp thingy. What is useful is the lamp is quickly removable from the clamp. It all pivots on a balljoint, which has thumbscrews determining its tension and stiffness. Totally and instantly adjustable, then lockable.

Well the beam is strong. Much much much brighter than the 50w Deben Lamp i have. I think it is down to the cables. Perhaps they’re a bit worn or corroded (I certainly don’t trust them after that lousy quality extension lead) but the Clulite SL2 must be 4x brighter than my 50w Tracer Mini. The beam is adjustable, somewhat like the old Maglites were, which is a nice touch for tuning the beam to your liking. The beam is white and clear. With my S&B Zenith I was a happy bunny. The bunnies were not happy bunnies. With the 22lr, i had the beam at about 25% but I could whack it up and scan all around the fields like I would from the car with the big spotlight.

I just love the scope mount. I couldn’t get out of the car before, put gun in bag, climb over gate etc without mount shifting . Now all that is solved. I put the gun in its bag three times tonight, climbed gates, pulling the cable this way and that...lamp just stays dead centre. Simples.

All in all, I think this is all any rifleman needs. You could shoot rats with an air rifle with it dimmed right down, or sling it on your 22.250 and whack 250y foxes. It seems tough, well-built and the clamp is a belter. Added to this, the service I received was top class and above the call of duty by today’s standards. Very highly recommended for sure.

Archived