Good day out

Jinks

After working all over the Bank holiday weekend, I had a couple of days off work. I had spoken to Dave (6mmBr) last week and we arranged to meet on Tuesday to have some long range shooting fun.

We started off on my friends farm, which offered us shooting from 100 to 1200 yds from the same position. We set up two gongs at 365yds and 485 yds, and after a short zeroing session we proceeded to blast the gongs. The wind made shooting more interesting as is was coming from behind us and fish tailing, taking shots off to the left and right of the target. Then we had a go at rock shooting on the mountain side, with both of us getting hits at 650yds and 840yds. Then Dave ranged a rock on at the end of the valley at 1187yds and took aim at a white mark on the centre of the rock with myself spotting. Spotting a miss would be near enough impossible as there was thick heather all around the rock, so a bullet signature would not be seen. Dave sent a round down range and we both clearly saw a puff of dust right on the aiming mark with the first shot!!!

IMG_8236.jpg

IMG_82391.jpg

IMG_82401.jpg

After a bit of grub, we headed off for a few neighboring farms in search of some vermin. First opportunity was a flock of pigeons out in a field and I managed to pick one off at 418 yds. A short drive later saw us at a good vantage point over looking a valley, with a small rabbit warren on the opposite side, whilst looking through the binos to try and pick out a rabbit, a crow landed in amongst the burrows. I ranged the crow at 712yds, and measured the wind at a steady 8mph coming up the valley, Dave dialed in the corrections, took aim and sent a bullet across the valley, This was one very lucky crow, because the bullet hit right between it’s legs!!!

To finish the day off, we headed to one of my favorite spots, which is a large rabbit warren on the side of a gorse covered valley. We drove down a track on the opposite side and parked up at a point which put us at about 450yds from the main part of the warren. Where we were parked was quite sheltered, but the trees swaying in the bottom of the valley confirmed that there was a strong wing blowing up the valley. We managed to bag 6 rabbits here at ranges between 350 and 460 yds, but with the wind getting stronger and colder we called it a day. Towards the end I had 6 minutes of windage dialed into the nightforce to hit targets at 400yds!

IMG_8258.jpg

IMG_8263.jpg

IMG_8260.jpg

Thanks to Dave for being good company and for chauffeuring me around for the day!!

Cheers,

Jinks.

Dylan thanks again for a brilliant day out, great shooting and good company.

Thanks for doing a brilliant write up for the forum.

We had a fantastic bit of long range plinking in the morning followed by an afternoon of roving varminting in the truck.

Jinks managed a long pigeon at 400 odd yards and I managed to scare a few crows with near misses.

As you can see in the final pictures that wind was pretty strong making hits on varmints tricky to say the least.

We both managed hits out to 450 yards in the strong wind, as Dylan said we had a fair bit ow windage cranked on our scopes.

All in all a stunning place to shoot.

Thanks again for the invite.

Right its off to the loading bench to refill all those empty cases.

Cheers

Dave

Guest richness

Great drills lads! That looked like a slick operation and shedloads of fun :) Which cals and loads were you using? Shooting off the back of the truck looks very handy. Warmest regards, Richard :)

I was using my 6x47 loaded with 105 A max and Dylan was using his 6BR with the same bullet.

That chequer plate tonneau on the back of the L200 is a very stable shooting platform.

Cheers

Dave

Great write up and some fantastic shots jinks look like you welsh boys have some great shooting ground

Archived