Guest 308Panther

Pass....They run that much new.(or a touch more)

Plus...

They have a really heavy reticle....The name says Whitetail.

Think American or more specifically Blind American....where most deer are shot in early dawn or late dusk.

Plus in normal light the picture is so bright that it hurts.

This was one of the first scopes I bought for my .17HMR

At first I thought it was what I wanted....Till I tried using it for some

really fine shooting....Try poppin a blackbird at 120 yrds and the

crosshairs cover the whole bird.....I couldnt see it.

and after 1/2 hour of tryin to learn to shoot it I had such eye fatigue

that I had a headache 2 hrs later.

If ya got a .30-06 that has nothin on it...its a great scope for deer or

deer sized targets in low light....

I wouldnt put one on a rimfire where ya wanna gonna use it as a semi precision shooter.

This scope was the one that taught me in a hurry that there is a differance in scope manufactures.

A big differance.

Its some engineers idea of what they think works,and for deer sized game in low light it does,go outside that box and its useless.

308Panther

I have a little Simmons 2x5 ? x20 on a Rimmy, remarkable little scope. Not in the same league as the Swaros, Ziess etc no but it will do the job in all bit the most severe light conditions. It holds zero fine and for the money mine is excellent value.

A

The little simmonds 1.5-5 x 20? weve sold almost 900 of those over the years, absolutely cracking little scope for £99.They suit marlins and 10/22,s very well. I believe we have had one faulty one back, out of that lot. I have a 3.5-10 x 40 wtc on an air rifle, its around 10 years old, and has never missed a beat, never needed re zeroing etc, and thats saying something on a springer, they are reknowned as having the most damaging recoil of any gun, as its a whiplash effect, unlike a firearm.

I always try and steer customers to the whitetails if they dont want to spend more than £200, because i think they are way in front of owt else under £200, and we dont get them back broken.

I would guess panther is right about the reticule though, but then again, i,ve never used one past 100 yards, so cant comment really.

Guest 308Panther

I dont know about the 1.5 -5 x 20....My only experiance

with Simmons was one that had an AO....I dont remember the

magnification power and thought it was a 50mm lens.

But from the looks of things it is no longer made ?

As I am not seeing it on the Simmons website.

A search on Midway USA comes up with this...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=746570

and it was the one I had...

It worked great in the store and on the rifle....till I tried a shoot off with the ol man.

He had just put a Simmons .22mag scope on his .22mag Marlin

Nice lil scope.Worked great on the .22mag and you could see where

ya where puttin them.....

So then we tried shootin some Blackbirds from 100 yrds and further.....

Didnt take long and he was kickin my ass...

Turnin up the power on the scope only made things worse.

308Panther

I have a whitetail classic 3.5-10 x 50, it has been on everything from a 300wm, 243, etc and now lives on a precharged air rifle. It must be 9 yrs old and has never given a moments trouble, the reticle is plenty fine enough and they are around the £200 mark.

For my Rimmys one has a ASI"superscope"4x40 on it, strong matt ally tube and real glass lenses! and the other a Bushnell Banner 3-9 x50 both do fine and didnt cost the earth.

Baldie will know if they are available still.

Redfox

Archived