Can you shoot out a 17hmr

dorg

Has anybody shotout a 17hmr if so how many rounds to do it please.

At HMR pressures it's unlikely that you can shoot it out. You could, however, clean the rifling out of it if you got careless....~Andrew

a farmer i shoot foxes for, shot his cz .17hmr out after about 7,000 rounds. Tried everything, new scope, freefloating, loose screws/allen keys, thoughly cleaning it. The gun dealer spoke to cz and they said it should last longer and put it down to the amount of shots fired in a short period.

a farmer i shoot foxes for, shot his cz .17hmr out after about 7,000 rounds. Tried everything, new scope, freefloating, loose screws/allen keys, thoughly cleaning it. The gun dealer spoke to cz and they said it should last longer and put it down to the amount of shots fired in a short period.

I am very interested in the details of this if you have any! I have friends that have put more rounds through their HMR than that with no ill effects. What was the clue that something was amiss??~Andrew

in most rifles the crown is the first thing to go with either gas erosian or improper cleaning or pitted crown or a heavily fouled barrel ,it is hard to believe that the barrel is actualy burnt out but you never know

The rifle would hold a group, started shooting 2-3 inch group apparently, it was a while ago , i'll speak to the farmer and ask him for a run down of events, next time i see him

atb Matt

Thanks for that. Did he shoot it several LOT's of ammo, I wonder? Hornady has put out some seriously bad HMR as of late. From inaccuracy to blown up guns. It would be interesting to take his ammo and run it through a different rifle. I Have three HMR customs in my house. Two of these saw service shooting groundsquirrels on the Mexican border and each would fire 100+ rounds at a sitting in dusty, 125F degree heat. I can't count the number of 500 round "bricks" we went through in two years and yet they still shoot great.~Andrew

• 1 year later...

It's easier to over clean an hmr than shoot it out - the bore is so tight that often crowns and rifling get damaged during cleaning. Similarly under cleaning results in copper fouling and barrel pitting. Any of this will result in a rifle losing its accuracy.

Forrest foam or wipeout every 50 rounds, using a nylon brush gently and ensuring no fluid is left in the barrel.

I've put several thousand rounds down mine, no issues other than a re-crown when I first got it, and later found it needed a thorough de copper regularly to retain accuracy.

I've friends who've had them ages and put many thousands of rounds down with no issues.

Recon you should get yourself a .22 centerfire, lots to choose from and a lot less hassel than a 17HMR B)

True that. If you had a goodly, US-style variety of 22WMR ammo I would suggest that if a CF was out of the question. There are some excellent options out there today.~Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

ive had my marlin for many years now and put many thousands of rounds through it with no problems. i must add that the rifle has never had a brush through it.its a stainless barrel and ive only ever used a bore snake . i pull it through twice when i put it away and once just before i use it. it still holds moa at a hundred yards. what more could you ask for in a knockabout rifle.

Archived