The new rifle

Guest rogern

The new .204 arrived Saturday, a CZ 527 American.

The shop has its own range so i scurried off to break in the barrel & zero it and thats when the problems started. It has a conventional & set trigger,after 9 rounds the bolt would not stay cocked, it appears that some crud had worked its way into the assembly, anyhow the shop owner had a 'go' at it, not good.

I stripped the trigger unit at home and reassembled it, boy was it complicated, it has 3 adjustments, one for weight, one for travel before the sear is released and one for after, and when you get all that right the set trigger has to work, is this boring? yes it is. anyhow it works just fine now and the trigger let off is light & crisp.

I got it zeroed and got a group of 3/4" at 100 yds, its only fired 55 rounds so it should settle in a bit better I hope.

I bought an MTC Viper 3-9x44 IR scope and together it looks a tidy bit of kit I think, out last night, saw 2 foxes but no shots so a rabbit got it, I am very impressed with the optics.

Here are a couple of pics.

CZ5272.jpg

CZ527.jpg

Very nice Roger.What bullet weights have you tried in it? The 527 has a surprisingly good trigger for the price, and a lovely let off can be achieved with some carefull work, mainly due to the fact it has backlash adjustment.I had the same rifle in a hornet, a few years ago, and it was a lovely little rifle, and killed plenty of foxes. Good luck with it.

Hi Baldie

The shop had some factory 40 grn Vmax, but with the trigger trouble I just used them to break the barrel in a bit.

When I got it home and got the trigger right i loaded some 32 grn vmax into the neck sized empties from the range.

I tried 3 lots all with cci br primers and some BLC2 powder, the loads were: 28.50, 29.00 & 30.50 (30 70 is max I think) the 29 grn load had 2 touching & a flyer at 3/4" away, the 30.50 load had 2 touching with one about 1/2" off, all seated the same depth and that was as long as I could just so they cleared the magazine and not a trace of pressure, so not bad for a new barrel eh.

Am I right in thinking it will get better when its had more rounds through it?

Hi Funky, I'm glad your mate is pleased with the Howa, it was starting to get very accurate and i never really spent enough time developing a load. I put a post on about Howa trigger adjustment, did he see it?

As i said, when i found out I could get a leftie in .204 i just had to have it otherwise I would still have the Howa.

Give him my regards.

Roger

Archived