Securing a Reloading press

Orka Akinse

Gents

I have noticed in photo's of reloading benches and when having the opportunity to visit friends and view their reloading set up most have a steel or aluminium plate between the reloading press and the bench.

My questions are:

I intend to bolt my new press to my bench that is 4" thick ply do I need a plate?

If I need a plate where do I get one?

Are they speacially made?

Why do people use them?

Cheers fellas by the way I aint no engineer so be kind huh?

Orka I suppose the plates are to make the area harder wearing and easier to clean. I have mine mounted on a piece of surplus kitchen worktop with no metal plate and suffer no hardship. With yours being on such a substantial thickness I see no need.

Arguably having no plate could be safer as in no sparks if you do have to strike anything or burrs that are out to get you. ;)

If you do decide to go down the metal plate route, call at a local sheetmetal fabrication shop, ask for 16 swg (1.6mm) as a minimum and 10swg (3.0mm) maximum and often they will have off cuts and the guillotine to trim to your size for a bespoke fit. This would be a relatively cheap route but go for something none rusting, aluminium would be a good option as being softer won't scratch or damage things as easily.

My reloading bench top is an 8'x6' 1" ply cut into 4 glued and bolted together this is then glued and bolted to 4"x 4" legs with extra bracing underneath for extra rigidity. Your more than welcome Ronny to come and jump all over it, I'll even make the coffee :):)

Thanks Eldon I thought as much but needed the assurance from you guys so thanks again to both of you I reckon I can forgo the plate.

Archived