advice please tikka .223 which twist rate to choose

Hi, this is my first topic so please be gentle

I am fairly new to centrefire but have a .22 and shotguns

I am about to buy a tikka hunter .223 but don't know which twist rate to choose, 1 in 8 or 1 in 12

I want to use it for fox and crow etc upto about 300yds if I'm good enough

but keep any 'recoil' to a minimum

I have assumed that the lighter gr bullets 55 - 40 are better for this and therefore maybe the 1 in 12 is better

am I thinking right or am I way out or will either do for me needs?

thank you for looking and any help much appreciated, I have been in the shop about a dozen times over the last 2 weeks just to get this far

thank you all very much for your helpful replies. 1 in 8 it is and I'm off to the shop to get it. thanks also for the ammo info.

HI Mate.

Either twist rates will do the job.

As you said the slower 12 twist is more suited for the lighter pills , and usually great up to 60 grn.

The 1 in 8 twist will cope with everything up from 50 grn to 80 grn bullets

My last two 8 twist tikka super varmint rifles would shoot 75 grn Amax into silly clover leaf groups and still put together 3/4 MOA grups with 40 grn Vmax. ( though its staple diet was 55 grn blitzking )

As you can see, there is an over lap where the 2 twist rates will perform with bullets in the 50 grn to 60 grn range.

The 8 twist is more versitile IMO ... and will give you access to a range of bullets with significantly better BC's , which will help extend the range or help with windage.

ATB

Alan

Hi Buddy,

There is a Guy on this Forum called 'baldie' PM him and ask him for his very valuable advise, he will sort you out with the twist rate.

Tony.

PS. Alan.........sir-slots-alot is also very helpfull

You will find after a while you will want to push youre abilities past 300 yards after a while.

Like the rest of the fellas on here have said, some f class champs and others very very good at long range varminting, go for 1 in 8, you will be able to shoot both light and heavy.

I shoot a 223 and mine is also 1 in 8, i can shoot 55-60 grain bullets into tiny groups and 75 grainers also the same. You will be handicapping youreself going with a slow twist.

Garry

Archived