223 advice

chelly

Sorry guys if this is in the wrong section. I have a standard Howa 223 1 in 12 twist and started reloading. I started with 55gr sierra SP and 25.5gr varget which at 100yrds on a good day could get a clover leaf. I decided I wanted to go down the BT route and purchased some 55gr V max. Hornady recommend 24.6 varget for 3000fps which group very well if I do my bit. I just happend to test over a F1 and it gives a reading of 2763 (does this really matter?). I dont feel confident putting more powder in the case as I have put 25gr of varget in and there appears to be no space between the bullet base and powder. Would I be better of getting a powder such as H335 insted of the varget or should I be happy with what I have?

Also, I have been considering using 40gr v max, are these excepatable on fox and what sort of range. Not that I want to shoot at silly distances.

Hi there,

I have a 20" barreld 223 in which I run varget with 60 vmax and 75 hpbt in lapua cases.

I run 27 grains with 60's and 25 grains with 75's. The 27 grain load is slightly compressed but no signs of pressure in my rifle and is still safe but youres could be different.

Both loads are one tiny hole at 3000fps and 2800 fps.

Regards

Garry

Garry's results with heavy bullets are excellent but my approach to .223 (and similar rounds) is different since I look upon them as better suited (in terms of varmint hunting, which is all I do) to light bullets, with which high velocities and flat trajectories can be had. I never loaded any bullet heavier than 50gr in this size case, and my standard .223 load used the 40gr V-Max that you mention. I know others do this too. Out of a 22" barrel my load using nearly 24gr of N130 pushed the little V-Max at 3800fps: this proved great on rabbits, pigeons, crows and groundhogs, and when I shot foxes they seemed to go down just as readily as when I hit them with a 55gr out of a 22-250, so no worries there.

Varget is a bit slow for these light bullets. Try N130, N133, Benchmark.

HTH - Tony

Garry's results with heavy bullets are excellent but my approach to .223 (and similar rounds) is different since I look upon them as better suited (in terms of varmint hunting, which is all I do) to light bullets, with which high velocities and flat trajectories can be had. I never loaded any bullet heavier than 50gr in this size case, and my standard .223 load used the 40gr V-Max that you mention. I know others do this too. Out of a 22" barrel my load using nearly 24gr of N130 pushed the little V-Max at 3800fps: this proved great on rabbits, pigeons, crows and groundhogs, and when I shot foxes they seemed to go down just as readily as when I hit them with a 55gr out of a 22-250, so no worries there.

Varget is a bit slow for these light bullets. Try N130, N133, Benchmark.

HTH - Tony

As Tony says varget is a good powder for plus 60 grains but I wouldnt use it with anything less than 55 grain heads.

My barrel has a 1 in 8 twist as it a multiporpose rifle with fox, targets, bit of this and that so mine is not dedicated to one job.

Arget give me tiny groups and single digit es with these loads so thats why I use it.

Best of luck.

Garry

I used N133 with 50 nosler bt and 52 amax and used N120 with 40 vmax, all gave very good results. the 40's are great for foxes at normal lamping ranges.

Archived