20 practical

Snowz

Who's got one?

Lots of people with 20 cal and especially 20 TAC but why not so many 20 PRAC shooters when this seems to have the edge looking at figures and easy brass forming.

Any feed back and info welcomed

Baldie, I know you said you had both reamers, maybe you would like to comment on the two and how popular they are? advantages etc.

No experience of 20 Prac but I did consider it carefully. I chose 20Tac because, apart from the fact that Dasherman had a 20Tac reamer (!), the Tac has a slightly steeper shoulder - an "improved" case design - resulting in a somewhat longer neck than the .223 original (making it more like a .222 in profile) which I like in terms of bullet seating; and potentially slightly greater case life, though this could be negligible. The Prac has in theory a very slightly greater powder capacity (maybe 0.1 grain?) but in practice I doubt this is significant, considering individual loading styles - my 20Tac load is fast but more conservative than some (not interested in breaking 4000fps just for the sake of it) and 20Prac users might similarly adopt a conservative load which would certainly negate any tiny potential extra powder capacity.

People will tell you, accurately enough, that 20 Practical is easier to form .223 cases for, but rather than shell out for a case-forming die I decided it was a better bet to spend the money on factory Lapua/Dakota 20Tac brass, to ensure the best cases from the start.

Given the variables, there is no difference in field performance between the two cartridges. Go for the one that suits in terms of convenience and personal taste.

Tony

Archived