First Kill With New Ackley

Vermincinerator

Hi guys,

I finished building my New 22-250 AI rifle last saturday and 2 hours later was zeroing, testing and fireforming with northernchris but we did not get a chance to pop anything live.

On the offer from Alycidon i went out this afternoon and toppled a few rabbits.

Here's the first one taken at about 100yds with a fireforming load made up of a 52 Amax shoved along by 39grns of H380 sparked by a 215M primer in Norma brass.

521616.JPG

The muzzle brake works phenominally well allowing me to see bullet impact through my scope.

I managed to launch a small one into the air, so i am looking forward to loading proper Ackley velocities with 50-55grn Varmint bullets.

I just need to sort the bedding and complete some cosmetic touches, then i will post more detailed pics of the build.

Ian.

Rifle looks very nice Ian, that muzzle brake looks good on the barrel is there much bang out of it with the brake? What are the stats of the rifle i.e action, barrel etc?

Looking very nice Ian... :lol: :lol:

Shall look forward to seeing how she performs!!! :P:lol:

I know what you mean about seeing your bullet impact , before i was using my 6PPC with no moddie and i could see the impact and now i am running it with one you see everything , like yesterday when i took 2 crows with 1 shot at 282yds - should of seen the feathers fly!!! :D:lol:

Have fun buddy.....................

All the best.....................

RAY.......................................... :D:lol:

Nice to see you've got that Ackley up and running now Ian :lol:

She looks great, you'll love the performance you'll get out of it.

I love my .22-250 Ackley and she is so flat shooting out to 250yds you can aim dead on.

My load is 43gns Vit N550, Berger 52 BTHPM seated 10 thou off the lands sparked off with a Fed gold match primer. This was giving an average of 4030 fps from a 26" barrel over Rays chrono.

N550 seems the way to go as I copied that load out of the Varmint Hunters magazine where there was an article on the .22-250 Ackley, the author highly rated both N550 and win 760.

Good luck with your testing, I'm just so glad I hit on an excellent load straight away, or else I may have worn the tube out testing :D

Cheers

Dave

Hi Guys,

I will be doing a full write up with detailed photos in the rifle section in the next couple of weeks.

Martin, its a Vais muzzle brake which i bought from Midway UK, i was originally going to get it from Brownells but it just came into the price range which required an export licence, didnt want the hassle of that so Midway came up trumps even though it cost more.

Ian.

Having a good look and a handle it is indeed a lovely bit of kit. For example the fit of the muzzel brake is perfect, I dont mean good I mean absoloutly perfect. You simply cannot see the join. It even continues to taper at the same rate as the barrel.

She certainly shoots well as well. Noise, without a silencer yes of course but with suitable protection you do not really notice it. When Ian dropped the hammer on one I happened to be looking at the muzzel brake over his shoulder, gases were expelled through all the holes for a distance of about 3 inches.

All in all a worthy project that will get better once a load is worked up, just got to find him a fox for it now !!.

A

Archived