problem with brass i think

1forthepot

hi all,

Here is my problem i have had a 7x64 made and i bought 80 norma factory rounds and 40 new (old stock)norma unprimed cases in the old wood grain boxes.

i shot the factory stuff to get the cases so i did all the cleaning and preping and primed the 40 old new and 10 once fired and loaded them from the vit load data as follows;

berger VLD hunting 140 grn

powder n160 start load was 51-56 i found 52 to group best

cci lrg br primer

seated 10 thou of lands

been out today to practise for test on saturday and had 12 shots all grouped well but 2 cases when ejected the primer fell out and there was pressure marks of the ejector plunger on the brass but there was no hard extraction when ejected.

what is going on.

been out today to practise for test on saturday and had 12 shots all grouped well but 2 cases when ejected the primer fell out and there was pressure marks of the ejector plunger on the brass but there was no hard extraction when ejected.

what is going on.

I think you have answered the question yourself. Too much pressure, you need to back the load off.

I had a similar problem with my match rifle last year when temps went up a bit i started blowing primers.

There was absolutely no sticky bolt lift what so ever.

I backed the load off by a couple of grains and have not had a problem since

Cheers

Dave

All rifles are different yours is warning you that the load is too hot.

Thats why it is important to start with starter loads and work up.

Seating depth and internal capacity of cases can effect pressure hugely and also a tight bore will boost pressure.

Cheers

Dave

Also if you have mixed the 2 lots of brass and don't know which lot is causing the problems it could be that one lot of brass is slightly thicker than the other which could be causing your pressure signs.

Rich

Archived