A good couple of days.

6mmBR

Well it's been a good couple of days, this weather is superb and a great suprise for this time of year.

I've managed to get out quite a bit this week. Monday we went over the other side of the estuary and I managed to call up a dog fox within minutes of arriving and the Ackley sorted him out. Sadly I forgot my camera as he was a lovely silver fox and his coat was superb. It was a funny night as we had nothing else, not for lack of trying.

Tuesday we went locally and it was a bit like ground hog days, we shot another dog fox within minutes of arriving and had nothing else the rest of the night. Although we did see another 3 but failed to get shots at them.

Wednesday I went out bunny bashing. I took the 6mmBR as i've tried out a new load of 30gns N135 and a 87gn Vmax, which is doing 2900fps over the chrono so I was itching to put it to the test.

DSCF0244.jpg

I set up and had a couple of kills at just short of 200yds even managing to give one a little air time :lol:

I had a nice bunny at 263 yds the scope dialed perfectly and was spot on with my drop chart.

This gave me great confidence when I spotted 2 bunnies one at 399 and the other at 403 yds.

I looked at the chart dialed in knocking a click off for the slight upward shot, I pulled the trigger and the 403 bunny kealed over :lol:. To my suprise the other one didn't move so I reloaded and let him have it aswell. 2 consecutive bunnies at 400 yds I was well chuffed.

DSCF0241.jpg

I was lucky last night as there was no wind to contend with and the evening finnished on 10 bunnies for 14rnds fired :D

It's been a case this week of too much fun :lol: and it looks like the weekend is going to be good aswell.

Cheers

Dave

Hi dave :lol: :lol:

Good to hear you had some good shooting !!!

That 6BR sure looks nice too!!!!

Keep on having that fun buddy............

All the very best..................

RAY...................................... :D:lol:

Hi dave,

Nice one my mate!!!!, glad that you are having some fun!!!!, that place looks awesome :D

Dave i have orderd a borden alpine, shillen match grade barrel and an aic folding stock in 6mm br :lol:

Dont know when it will turn up :lol: but it should be nice???

All the best darrel

Guest 308Panther

Very nice shootin on the +400yd bunny's.

Glad to hear ya got a silver fox as well...They sure do have some

nice fur,dont they?

Rifle looks sweet too.

308Panther

Cheers guys, just lucky I've got somewhere safe to shoot at those distance. Those bunnies are hard to spot on the cliffs in amongst the gorse, I spend most of my time glued to my binos.

Darrel that sounds very interesting what twist rate have you opted for and which chambering 6mmBR Rem or 6mmBR Norma.

Cheers

Dave

Guest varmartin

Very good shooting dave, I do like those RPA`s....you cant seem to go wrong with those rifles.

Nice land to shoot over too..have fun while the weather lasts mate.

Martin

Well the fun continues, I thought rain was going to stop play, thankfully it cleared for a while at dinner time so of in the truck I popped.

I went to my mates farm where we had a load of rabbits earlier in the summer and went for a drive around. I noticed some pigeons feeding on a stubble field, so I drove to a good vantage point for the shot.

DSCF0247.jpg

The trees were 130yds and the stubble field behind stretched out to about 400yds.

There was a pigeon in the lower branches which proved a safe shot, so I squeezed the trigger of the Ackley and boom a huge cloud of feathers. This is all I found of this pigeon.

DSCF0250.jpg

I managed another 2 pigeons out of the lower branches, they do blow up spectacularily with a direct hit ;)

Finnally a crow landed on the stubble at 278 yds I dialed the scope and nail him on the spot ;)

DSCF0253.jpg

The rainstarted up agaiin so I packed up my kit and headed for home. I bumped into the farmer a few fields away drilling some winter barley, so i may get a bit of sport on that tomorrow ;)

Cheers

Dave

Guest 308Panther

Nice job poppin pidgeons....

The ones on the farm I go to are all

too skittish to shoot at....They see

my car,my bike or my buddie's truck pull up

and they either head for the silo tops or the next farm.

The crows dont even fly on his fields if they see the dekes

and will skirt his whole farm.

Wich leaves for longer shots then the .17HMR is good for.

But we still pick on them when the chance comes along.

Doesnt happen often tho....Only dropped 2 crows so far

this year...

308Panther

Guest 308Panther
As Remy said, you can't shoot them from your arm chair, so keep trying Panther and you should nail some.

Dave

We pick on them when the chance is offered....But usin the Black Rifle on them

would get me into alot of trouble...

General Rules over here are if it has wings.....Gotta use the Scattergun.

That is if you dont want to get pinched from the Game Warden and loose the rifle

and vehicle.

Wardens are created without a sense of humor.

308Panther

You learn something new every day Panther. I didn't realise you weren't supposed to shoot birds with a rifle in the US.

Those game wardens seem strict lucky we don't have them in the UK for shooting, we have them for fishing however.

Cheers

Dave

Good to see you managed to get out dispite the crappy weather dave!!

Them pigeons certainly go up well - just like crows!!!! :D :D

All the best.......................

RAY.................................................... ;):D

Guest 308Panther
You learn something new every day Panther. I didn't realise you weren't supposed to shoot birds with a rifle in the US.

Dave

Some states will let ya use a rifle on turkeys...but in Wisconsin if it flys....use the shotgun.

But sometimes .....Waaaay out in the boonies.....some blackbirds have been known to....

ummm....go.... poof? :D

No Game Wardens? Hmmmm....Naw, I better not.

I would only get into trouble... :D

308Panther

Hi Dave,

interesting to hear your load of the 87grVMax. I have a 6mmBR (tikka M590 Action, Border Barrel, 23 inches, 1:9 twist) and I am getting spectacular results with the 87grVMax. Longest kill to date is a 302yd crow and numerous bunnies out to 250yds. I have been lucky to have similar ground to yours where you can sit and glass for them, usually take them from the bonnet of the car, resting the gun on dog-gone-good shootingbags.

The load I use for the 87grVMax, is 31.8gr Varget and it routinely shoots 0.2 5 shot groups (with the best todate a .107 4shot group). This load gives me 3000fps, which actually makes the load deer legal as well.

best wishes,

Finman

Hi Finman, yes I've been pleased with that load using 87Vmax @ 2900fps in my Loather Walther 8 twist barrel if I drive them any hard I loose accuracy and that is paramount when shooting over 400 to 500 yds.

I had problems with this rifle getting a varmint load to shoot as she is throated for the 6mmBR Norma and 105gn bullets. She is awesome with 105 Amax and Berger VLD's but they are not explosive enough. Due to the long throating you can't get lighter bullets than the 87vmax anywhere near the lands and keep the bullet in the case. I would like to have shot lighter bullets at higher velocities, however 2 consecutive kills at 400yds with that load I was chuffed so I'll load some more of them up.

Hi Andy the stock on my RPA is the Robertson Interceptor stock from the States and the one on the Ackley is a Wild Dog stock from Australia.

I've seem the Staffordshire synthetics web site but sadly can't comment on them as I've not seen one in the flesh.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Dave,

I get your drift... I have not shot anything heavier than the 87gnVMax in mine, and, since I am getting the type of accuracy that I am, if it ain't broke... I get very good groups, almost the same as the 87gnVMax with all the VMax family (65gn, 75gn, saddly the 9twist barrel vaporises the 58gn) and the 70gnBlitzking. Whatever I have hit with it so far has gone to a warm happy place in the sky, so I am not complaining. Still haven't tried it on deer, but my day will come I am sure!

In any case the 6mmBR rocks and I am surprised that it is not more widespread than it is at present. I guess our friendly FLOs do not see much point in anything above .224 calibre for varmints... By the way: are you allowed to take bunnies with the 6mmBR? :D

Keep shooting!

best wishes,

Finman

Cheers guys, Finman yes I know what you mean but here with high winds you need a rifle that can shoot high BC bullets so 6mm have there place for vermin control the .224 centrefires are fine on calm nights but give a bit of range the 6mm with a bullet with a BC of .50 againgst .25 rocks.

Darrel I know what you mean, I think crows are a bit more armour plated than pigeons.

Cheers

Dave

Archived