Weatherby Brass

Foxshooter

Where does it sit in the food chain? Top stuff or bargain basement?

I have some I am about to start using through the Winmag. Purchased it years ago but only just got around to using it

Mark

Cheers for that,

I had thought the brass I had was Norma. I had a moment of confusion the other night when I emptied the packet and found the Weatherby headstamp

Mark

Yes, made by Norma with the Weatherby headstamp for a long time. It's one of Norma's advertising claims in fact, just how many prestigious companies have their brass made for them by the company.

One word of warning though, depending on the age of your 'Weatherby' brass. It gained a reputation for a while some years back on being harder than desired in the neck-shoulder area and softer than you'd want back at the case-head. A friend complained bitterly about .240 WBY Mag cases that saw the primers fall out after two or three firings and he also showed me a case where the entire neck and part of the shoulder had accompanied the bullet down the barrel also after only two or three firings, both with below max loads. These sorts of reports were widespread maybe 10 years ago, but Norma seems to have sorted the problems since. Nevertheless, all Norma brass is still 'softer' in the case-head area than Lapua, and with Weatherby cartridges running at an allowed 65,000 psi PMax, you can get rather short life with this make if you use maximum loads. Not a problem for the factory ammunition, shoot once and chuck, user but something handloaders should bear in mind.

Archived