RCBS Tumbler

ds1

Recently there have been some great post on tumbling. I had a RCBS tumbler on order for a while, anyway it arrived a couple of weeks ago.....so a quick test, 100 dirty 308 cases that I de-primed only, Lyman ceramic media, water and bit of washing up liquid. I ran them for a 2 hour cycle. The pics are crap but in general very happy, bright clean cases, outside, clean primer pockets and clean but dull inside.

rcbs001.jpg[/img]

rcbs003.jpg[/img]

rcbs002.jpg

I think the RCBS could handle more cases - next time I will try 200 cases for 4 hours. The unit has a 12 hour timer plus constant run, very well made, heavy duty motor and good bearings. Price is not cheap (300+) and there is some noise from the tumbling action.

rcbs004.jpg[/img]

rcbs005.jpg[/img]

I have no idea if steel of ceramic media is best - I just happen to have some ceramic media, Even having to dry and rinse cases it is time efficent way of cleaning cases, much less fuss than ultrasonic cleaning and better results than dry media vibration cleaners.

David.

• 3 months later...

Sounds good David but with reference to my other post I think it is more than I want to pay. Are the vibratory tumblers really second class to this then?

I am not after the nth degree of perfection just wanting to get my homeloads after a few fires to look a bit better.

Hi eldon,

I have a vibratoy cleaner also but find it only really works to cleam the outside of the cases. It is fine with corn cob but STM or ceramic media is too heavy for it to work.

If you dont have a tumbler already I would look on ebay for a rotary tumbler - thulmers model B, there is a Model B HS (high speed) which is a bit better also. Yhe main advantage for me is they get the cases necks inside and out clean and also the primer pockets.

As an experriment in a week or so I will try using small nails instead of ceramic media - I just want to try it as a chaep as chips alternative to buying media

Archived