nv and paralax

sussexsteve

Hi

I am really interested in nv as I really struggle to find a good lamping partner. I am wondering why nv add ons need a scope with paralax. I like my s&b 8x56 and don't really want to change. I need something that I can interchange between a 243 and 308 for use on fox and boar.

Atb Steve

as elwood says-and you want as low mag as possible 3-12 is enough your s+b may have too much mag.i use a 4-12-56 AGS SCOPE -cheap as chips with a mil dot reticule this is for gen111 add on.

as elwood says-and you want as low mag as possible 3-12 is enough your s+b may have too much mag.i use a 4-12-56 AGS SCOPE -cheap as chips with a mil dot reticule this is for gen111 add on.

as above nightforce is good too alot better than leupold but alot more expensive than an ags :lol:

as above nightforce is good too alot better than leupold but alot more expensive than an ags :lol:

I have played around with various gen111 add-ons and various scopes.

I used to have it on my Nightforce scopes, but I find that it works FAR better on an MTC Taipan 4-16 x 50!!!!!

Maybe it has something to do with lens coatings on higher end scopes, I'm not sure.

The reticle is focussed using the fast eye focus on the rear of the scope, then the image through the scope is focused in with the side parallax, as Elwood said.

An expensive day scope doesnt automatically make it any good with add-on NV

As has been mentioned the AGS SWAT 4-16x50 is one of the cheap (£110ish second hand) that seems to work well.

Over on the BBS there is a thread somewhere where folk have listed makes/models that have been found to work well.

Side focus is a MUST HAVE with an add-on. Front AO can be done but its a royal PITA

Very few addons are true 1x mag, most are 1.2-1.4 ish With your 8x fixed mag you are looking at a mag of approx 10x. This might not be a problem if your dayscope is one of those that work well with NV. Good IR illumination may help. You dont say what make and spec your add-on is??

I found that in the end dedicated NV was the way forward. A good set of Leupold QRW mounts/bases meant I could interchange with the day scope when required.

A dedicated rifle is even easier

Mark

Archived