sako 75

NEWFI

Hi,can someone please tell me if a sako 75 varmint action in 308 is strong enough to take a 28 inch heavy barrel in 6.5x47,i want to use the same stock/trigger etc i have been told because its a narrow action it may flex a little.also has any one used the savage f class action ? opinions welcomed

Ian

Yes, i,ve built several 6.5 x 47,s on sako 75,s. They make a nice balanced gun with a medium varmint barrel on.

Baldie when you say medium varmint barrel can you give me any examples? i,ve been looking at true flight/bartlin etc i will also req a mod.and would i lose much velocity if the barrel was at 26 inchs? im looking to shoot fig 11/12 targets out to 900 mts and paper to 600 and use it for the occasional fox

Ian

When i say medium varmint i typically mean like a remington pss or sps heavy barrel. They are adequate thickness wise for a paper puncher, and not too heavy for a fox gun. The gun will perform admirably with a 26" barrel, right out to 1000.

You can go slightly heavier on the profile, but it must be able to be reduced at the breech end to cope with the sako reciever, as they are smaller slightly, than rem footprint actions. Its not a problem, for you to worry about, thats for you chosen gunsmith.

Personally, i would steer you towards the pss sort of thickness, it would balance the gun better in a std stock. They are perfectly adequate, i built Lambsey on here, a very similar gun, and he does everything with that.

ive got a 30 inch tube hanging off mine and thats an inch at the muzzle and i have a jet z moddy on it as welll

the only probs i have are moving it around the land rover

Archived