Brave but stupid

Streeker59

Out foxing friday night... This little dog challenged me from 120 yards away when my lamp lit up his eyes.

He stood bold as brass,shrieking, warning me off. Most i come across shy away from the lamp even when calling.

A well placed .17hmr ended the stand off real quick...Picture002.jpg

Out foxing friday night... This little dog challenged me from 120 yards away when my lamp lit up his eyes.

He stood bold as brass,shrieking, warning me off. Most i come across shy away from the lamp even when calling.

A well placed .17hmr ended the stand off real quick...Picture002.jpg

he wasnt warning you off -he was laughing at you gun! :lol:

good to see the hmr used correctly what spec is the rifle?

Hi Streeker59 nice going with the 17HMR, I have shot quite a number of foxes with mine, but I do keep to head shots only using the 20gr game point round. My only dislike is it’s a bit noisy for use in urban locations. Other than that it’s a very useful little tool.

ATB Bob

The rifle is a Sako Quad. Topped with a Leup VX3. The make of the mod eludes me. It's meant for a .22rf but works pretty well.

To be honest, i prefer to use my .223 for charlie but my T3 is a varminter and my back doesn't like lugging it around fields. Fine in the summer when i can take the high ground and lead the fox to me but when lamping i prefer the lightness of the quad.

I use the 17 grainer Remy round and have no probs so long as i keep em head shots.

Or the wind's not blowing a hooley. What sort of drift do you get at 120m with a stiffish quartering wind?

In practice i've found that drift is minimal at the ranges i use the round at. Maybe 3/4 - 1" in a stiff breeze at 100 yds. I dont take a scientific approach to this situation. I'm bagging foxes from 80 to 150 yards max and a foxes head is more than big enough for me not to worry about drift.

Archived