Howa Triggers

Howa,s can be adjusted to a reasonable pull, and as 325 says, are as good as a timney, providing you know what your doing. Rifle basix have one due out anytime i believe, infact they are actually in their new price list apparently. Long overdue, imo, as howa,s are decent rifle,s , spoilt only, by a crap trigger. They will be a good seller.

• 2 weeks later...
what is the best to replace a std unit ?? my mate has a Howa 1500 and the trigger is horrid

Hi Funky

Below is some text I got wehen i thought about adjusting the Howa .204 trigger.

Regards

The trigger was now breaking crisply at 11/2 lbs. but out of the box it was typically set for the American market – heavy! With the barrelled-action out of the stock adjustment is easy - by backing-off the front screw - though please don’t try it if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. It’s possible to over-lighten a trigger, and no one wants slam-fires do they? Another screw at the rear of the trigger controls the travel but I didn’t need to play with that one. Remember, safety before convenience - if in doubt, take it to a professional gunsmith.

Hi MrKamakazi, Take the barreled action out of the stock and turn the beast over. On the trigger mechanism there are two screws on the trigger housing. 1) The one on the front is the trigger pull adjustment screw. Usually there is some foam type paint holding it in place in combination with a lock nut. Scrape the foam paint off. 2) Using a 7mm wrench loosen the nut on this screw and then using a small screw driver turn counter clockwise the adjustment screw out about 1 full turn. 3) While holding the screw with the small screw driver tighten the 7mm nut back down. 4) Try the trigger pull, if it is still too hard repeat 2) and 3) above. Once the trigger is where you like it -- 5) Try to put the safety on. If the rifle won't go on safety it is adjusted too light. Readjust. 6) Put the barreled action back in the stock, while unloaded cock the bolt and put the rifle on safety then bounce the butt off the floor to test and see if the safety will hold it from firing. 7) Go test fire the rifle and see if the trigger tends to lighten up. 8) If all goes well take the barreled action out and put some paint on the adjustment screw lock nut combo to hold it there. HOWA has made their triggers so they can not be adjusted below about 3 lbs. {I have one on a .22-250 HB that is an exception and I have it down to 1.4 lbs.} For other HOWA {and Weatherby Vanguard} rifles I have bought a Timney trigger and it works real well at around 1 pound pull. Timney will sell direct to you out of Phoenix,AZ or contact me, I am a master dealer with Timney and they should cost around $75.00. A good trigger will increase your accuracy tons. Of course you can get a gunsmith to help you for a fee. I am going to scan a sketch of this whole proceedure I made years ago and will send it to Havoc to PDF for your use. best of luck amigo, Accuracy Sports

• 2 weeks later...

rogern

I must thank you for your excellent post above.

I had my Howa trigger adjusted recently and found yesterday that the safety was not working. Thanks to your post I have been able to rectify the problem myself and save the bother of sending the rifle back to the gunsmith.

Again this shows how bloody good this forum is.

Mike

Jard have just released a trigger for the howa 1500. If its anywhere near as good as the rest of jards triggers it will be the one to beat, watch this space.

• 3 weeks later...

100-003-168

Howa 1500 Trigger, 28oz. $132.00

Brownells list from 14oz to the above Jard triggers, for the money in £ they have to be a bargain, agree with previous posts, get it fitted and set by a gun smith, safe and garaunteed.

Redfox

Archived