Trail cameras - converting to lamping kit battery - help

Hi guys,

I have a couple of trail cameras (Stealth Cam STC-I430IR and Bushnell Trailsentry) that I would like to convert to also use external power from possibly a lamping kit battery pack and the knowledge base here is my first port of call for DIY suggestions. Both cameras operate on 4x D cell batteries, but come the colder weather the batteries simply don't last outdoors. I thought of maybe using one of my lamping batteries to power up the cameras so they can be left out for longer periods of time. My biggest disappointment with the alkaline batteries was when we had set up one of the cameras overlooking machinery on the field following a spate of fuel theft. The farmer set up the camera and had nothing for about a week, but when the thieves finally came for the free fuel the batteries had ran flat.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Best,

George

I am not an electrician, but in my job, we have used and seen adapted tech surveilance kit set in fixed positions over long periods.

I am talking time lapse and motion sensor operated digital camera systems often small photocell powered via control release and a sealed lead acid battery - probably similar to my own lamping battery.

The power supply was built into a small pelicase with a switching unit to alter the power (current?) to the camera so it was the right level.

Made a useful, system that can be placed and left, without the need to return raising suspicion....

Cannot help on how to make the alterations, but it can be done...

Just on the back of the last post, I recall seeing some DIY trail camera designs on the web with external power source - may help to search on diy wilderness camera or similar..

Just on the back of the last post, I recall seeing some DIY trail camera designs on the web with external power source - may help to search on diy wilderness camera or similar..

Thanks a lot. Ronin. Will try to get on top of that over the Christmas break.

Best,

George

George does your cameras not have an external power jackplug connection? I assume not by your question.Mine does but different makes and models may or may not have this feature.

What you could do assuming everything is 12 volts is like you say utilise the battery pack and charging system from your lamping kit.

That is what I do. My camera operates on C cells so is even worse than yours no doubt.

Without the jackplug option you could either solder jumper loops of wire between the battery connections inside the compartment and then take a twin wire (+ and -)to your lamping battery. Alternatively you could make up dummy batteries out of say plastic or wood (use drawing pins or nails on the end a bit like in IED's :ph34r: ) with wire or metal end connections and then linked into the same twin wire already mentioned. This would have the benefit of being able to go back to normal D cells at the drop of an hat.

Obviously you would have to drill a small hole for the cable to pass through but this could be sealed with a spot of silicone as you wouldn't need regular access anymore.

Archived