First fox for new gun...

Glensman

We went out lamping to try and get my first fox with the new gun. Saw a couple of foxes early on but they weren't playing ball. So we tried this small lane that takes you to the foot of the mountain; when we got to the top of the lane Ollie spotted a fox on the top of the mountain so we stopped to have a call.

I think at this point my exact quote was: "I wouldn't come that far for a free KFC" Ollie said we'll try calling him anyway. He broke out the trusted polystyrene and started calling, all of a sudden this fox came at full gallop and within 1 minute he was within range, I was busy relieving myself behind the jeep, as soon as I was finished (once you start...) I dispatched him from 65 yards.

He was a lovely big dog fox in perfect condition. We later ranged and he had come in from 400 yards, the shot couldn't be taken any earlier as he had to travel through a large gully before he got to us.

PICT0167.jpg

PICT0166.jpg

I love it when they coming steeming in.

Give us some details on the rifle. I note your not using a mod- Very retro these days :D

The rifle is a Howa 1500 in .270 sitting in a McMillen stock. Has a re-worked trigger and what I have to describe as a Fantastic muzzle-break- custom made by Ferghal White at Ireland Custom Rifle (I believe he is a site sponsor).

The scope's a leupold VX-III, mounted much too high for my liking, Warne low mounts aint all that low!

I never had any intention of lugging a big mod around the countryside, but then I was having some trouble with recoil in relation to scope eye relief so I had ferghal make me up the muzzle-break last week and she hasn't looked back!

The rifle is a Howa 1500 in .270 sitting in a McMillen stock. Has a re-worked trigger and what I have to describe as a Fantastic muzzle-break- custom made by Ferghal White at Ireland Custom Rifle (I believe he is a site sponsor).

The scope's a leupold VX-III, mounted much too high for my liking, Warne low mounts aint all that low!

I never had any intention of lugging a big mod around the countryside, but then I was having some trouble with recoil in relation to scope eye relief so I had ferghal make me up the muzzle-break last week and she hasn't looked back!

Always nice to get a fox with a new rifle,,

270 and no mod,, they are not going to walk away from that round ;)

Well done,, ATB,, Darrel

Archived