6 x 47 Lapua Load development

Can somebody advice

I have just finish load development with my 6 x 47 Lapua with the following spec

105 VLD Bergers hunt in a 26 inch lilja with 1 in 8 twist built on a BAT MV

loaded 5 thousand backed from the lands and 37.2 grains of N160

Muzzle velocity is 2910 fps and repeatedly i can get under 0.25 inch 5 shots groups

Typical 05 shot velocity string ranges from 2890 to 2915 fps

Now a few friends are saying I am running them too slow and should start pushing

Its really a varmint rifle and max range is 600 yards

If I can hit a 6 inch gong every time or better I am very pleased

Should I carrying on load development and pushes into the 3050 fps speed range or stop here

I am very aware of barrel life so to me further load development is pointless if I am

getting tight groups and can repeat them on different days as well

I guess what they are saying there is a higher accuracy node around 3050 fps and there is less drop at that speed if I want to shoot further is that right ?

BTW there was a strange velocity it actually dropped when I pushed it to 39 grains in a few shots Why does one explain this

As you are shooting fur I would leave it were it is and be very happy. If it were an out and out target competition rifle I would run it as hot as I could so long as I still had accuracy.

I have run the figures for you using the Berger 105 Match VLD and at 2910 fps your drop at 600 yards is 67.5 inches and a 23.1 inch wind drift with a 10mph cross wind.

Running the same data at 3050 fps you have 60.9 inch drop at 600 yards and 21.6 inch wind deflection.

As for the velocity drop, I have experienced this myself, I have read and been told that this can be a sign of over pressure.

Archived