Tactical 20 Vs Rem 223

Guest Tac20

Hi All,

I'm halfway through getting a .223 custom rifle built – all components are now in. However, I’ve now been advised that a .20 Tactical would have been a better option rather than the .223.

As most of the components are acceptable; for the 20 Tactical – barrel excluded, I need to make a decision as to which is the better calibre for my needs.

The rifle was intended for rabbits, foxes and the odd deer, should it poke it’s head up, however, as I mainly shoot in a Roe rich area, I edged my bets on the Law changing to allow Roe for 22 centrefire. However, now they have only allowed CWD and Munties, I think a 223 might be a little bit of an over kill for rabbits, which made me wonder about the 20 Tactical.

Reports I have read shows that it is flatter shooting, uses less powder, and has less recoil and is superbly accurate.

Has anyone out there got a Tactical 20 and how do they rate it. What are it’s pros and cons and how easy is it to get the reloading equipment (Cases, bullets and dies) (reloading data would also be useful. But possibly at a later date once I get the info.)

On another note: any comments on my choice – should I stick with the tried and tested .223 or throw caution to the wind and go for the Tactical?

Your comments would be gratefully received.

Hi Tac20, I have used a .223 for several years now and to great effect, it is more then capable of leveling a fox at 300yds and as long as you put the time into knowing where your rifle shoots (eg. a drop chart) than you will have a lot of fun with it. Reloading components are readily available and are not to expencive. I cam up with a load a while back and I have been using this ever since as it works well, I took Millpool out last week with his .223 and he is using the same load and he is shooting a 1" group at 300 yds. As for over kill, what is over kill? Dead is dead, if you are wanting the rabbit fo the pot as long as it is head shot they are fine.

I'm sure this will be of no use to you at all but it will give you something to read until someone really smart writes something else ;);) Good luck with your choise and have fun with it.

Guest 308Panther

T20,

Info I found seems to suggest this is a necked down .223 using 32gr BTHP@4320fps

I only seen one load for it...and that was at Handloads dot com.

This is my own 2 cents worth,What you do with it is up to you.

Personally I would stick to the .223

I think the 223 would hold the wind better,and down range energy will be better too.

Dies can be gotten thru Midway USA.The majority are Redding.

For rabbits...headshots only(in either a T20 or .223) or use a .22lr if you plan on eating them.

308Panther

6PPC is having a Tac 20 built and has done a lot of work ballistically on the 20 caliber generally. Thanks to his input I have found that the 20 cal shooting a similar weight projectile shoots it flatter with less wind drift and has more energy on the target. My work was with .22BR and .20BR but I would think you will find the same with .223/Tac20.

Run the ballistics on a Sierra 39 grainer in 20 cal and a 40 grainer in 22 and see.

The only downside in the range of bullets available, I am pretty sure that 6PPC said that Dakota were doing some very good quality TAC20 brass.

A

I am waiting on having my cooper rebarreled in tac20, I would go for it if you want something a bit different, it does shoot slightly flatter and is slightly better in the wind, but i dont think youll get a real distinct advantage over the .223, I have a .204 ruger at the minute and love the .20's, bullets can be hard to get at times but there not too bad at the minute. If your going tac20 you may want to go with a 1-11 barrel so you can shoot the 32's and the 40's comfortably. Dakota are indeed making preformed brass for the Tac20 I got 200 of them for £90 which is cheap as its laupa brass. If anyone is looking tac20 brass pm me and ill put you in touch with the guy who got me mine.

dies and cases are easy to get hold of for both,

both the tac 20 and the box standard 223 are really good rounds, as craigyboy said ,if you want something different the .20 is the way to go. either way you will enjoy them both and they will both make small quarry very dead indeed.

if you reload you could get either of them shooting very sweetly

a good rifle smith would be a consideration, i would hazard a guess that if you went down the Tac .20 route you might be looking at Steve bowers work, or for the .223 a competent rifle smith would do the job easily.

then when do you want the rifle up and running?

you could always ackley the .223 and have a play with that?!

Hi All,

I'm halfway through getting a .223 custom rifle built – all components are now in. However, I’ve now been advised that a .20 Tactical would have been a better option rather than the .223.

As most of the components are acceptable; for the 20 Tactical – barrel excluded, I need to make a decision as to which is the better calibre for my needs.

The rifle was intended for rabbits, foxes and the odd deer, should it poke it’s head up, however, as I mainly shoot in a Roe rich area, I edged my bets on the Law changing to allow Roe for 22 centrefire. However, now they have only allowed CWD and Munties, I think a 223 might be a little bit of an over kill for rabbits, which made me wonder about the 20 Tactical.

Reports I have read shows that it is flatter shooting, uses less powder, and has less recoil and is superbly accurate.

Has anyone out there got a Tactical 20 and how do they rate it. What are it’s pros and cons and how easy is it to get the reloading equipment (Cases, bullets and dies) (reloading data would also be useful. But possibly at a later date once I get the info.)

On another note: any comments on my choice – should I stick with the tried and tested .223 or throw caution to the wind and go for the Tactical?

Your comments would be gratefully received.

Hi All,

Thanks for the informative advise. Although I'd like to go for the TAC20 the 223 would seem the better option for the type of shotting I require. The 223 offers greater flexibility, and more load options, it may not be as accurate as the TAC20 but if I miss a rabbits eye lash but hit the eye - the rabbits dead either way.

Thanks again and keep up the great work.

the .223 is capable of being just as accurate as the tactical 20 and infact probably easier to get shooting well due to the variety of bullets etc avalible. The tactical 20 will just spit them out a bit faster and flatter . Accuracy will all come down to the rifle you chosse so chosse wisely. ;)

I have a good friend that built a T-20 a few years back and he likes it. Last September he brought his custom .20 up to Montana to shoot prairiedogs. I used a Howa Varmint in .223 shooting 40 grain bullets. There was no difference in the distance we were making hits at. (to 350 yards)

The 20 Tac is a great cartridge (Ruger borrowed all of Todd Kindlers' data to speed development of the .204 -and then screwed him, btw) but the .223 is far more versatile. You can go to 60 grain bullets from a 1-10 twist .223 with no problems. ~Andrew

Archived