cool bit of kit,weather permitting Iam off stalking this weekend so will give it a go,just need a PDA now,more god damm money :rolleyes:

keep an eye on the bay for PDA's you could grab a bargain.....

there's a guy who deals form london a shop, does very good quality second hand at a fair price, i got a protective case throwen into the deal ,

i'll get his details for you......

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
keep an eye on the bay for PDA's you could grab a bargain.....

there's a guy who deals form london a shop, does very good quality second hand at a fair price, i got a protective case throwen into the deal ,

i'll get his details for you......

many thanks

i hear a few guy's on here quite like the i phone.... for exbal, but i'd rather have a seperate bit of kit to use myself,

snap.

thats what I thought,no good half way through rewading the info and your phone rigs :rolleyes:

very true snap..ok guys,,take it im last..still got till sodding 14th june to go yet. im threaders,, :o:D:lol::lol:

yes micky but technically you never opened the box yet so you don't know what you got........... :(

thats a good fast service...... to berger and spud, i should have mine by december......... :D

snap.

how the hell do you calibrate the alttitude on the kestral

this may help...........

Kestrel® 4000 Pocket Weather® Tracker 11

- Ideally, provide an airflow of at least 1 M/S (2.2 MPH), over the temperature sensor—point the

Kestrel Meter into the airflow. If there is no airflow, simply wave the unit back and forth so air

passes over the sensors. With airflow over the temperature sensors and humidity chambers,

readings within specifications will be provided within two to three minutes, even after a large

temperature shift.

- If no airflow can be provided, you must allow sufficient time for the RH value to stabilize. This can

take as long as 20 minutes—the greater the temperature change, the greater the time. You can

use the logging capability of the Kestrel Meter to confirm that the unit has stabilized to

a correct reading: Set the memory options to a relatively short logging interval (20 seconds

works well), select the graphical display of RH, and you can see when the value is no longer

changing significantly. At that point, the RH value is stable and can be relied upon to be within the

accuracy specifications.

Barometric Pressure and Altitude Adjustment

The Kestrel Meter measures station pressure—the actual air pressure in the measurement location—and

uses this value to calculate barometric pressure and altitude. Station pressure changes in response to

two things—changes in altitude and changes in the atmosphere. Because the Kestrel Meter is constantly

changing location and altitude, it is important to enter adjustments or “references” when accurate pressure

and altitude readings are needed.

Barometric pressure is station pressure corrected to sea level. In order to make the correction, the Kestrel

Meter needs an accurate reference altitude. Altitude is the height above sea level. In order to correctly

calculate altitude, the unit needs an accurate barometric pressure reference, also known as an “altimeter

setting”. You only need to know ONE of these values (current barometric pressure or current altitude) in

order to set your Kestrel Meter up to show accurate readings.

Starting with the known barometric pressure for your location

You can obtain your current barometric pressure by checking an internet weather site

for a nearby location, or contacting a local airport. Set this value as your reference

pressure on the ALTITUDE screen to determine your correct altitude: Press the button

to enter the reference setting mode. Press the button to increase the reference

pressure or the button to decrease the reference pressure. You will notice that the

altitude will change with changes in the reference pressure. Press the button to exit the adjustment

mode. Set your Kestrel Meter down on a table and allow the altitude reading to stabilize. (Note: very small

changes in pressure generate noticeable changes in altitude. In order to provide meaningful readings for

activities where altitude changes quickly, the Kestrel Meter features rapid altitude response. This is why

the altitude readings tend to fluctuate by a few feet.) After obtaining a current altitude from the ALTITUDE

screen, move to the BARO screen and enter this value as your reference altitude by following the same

procedure. Both readings will now be accurate.

Starting with a known altitude for your location

You can obtain your altitude from a topographical map or local landmark. Google Earth

is an excellent free program that provides the exact altitude for any given address:

www.earth.google.com/. Set this value as your reference altitude on the BARO screen

to determine your barometric pressure: Press the button to enter the reference setting

mode. Press the button to increase the reference altitude or the button to

decrease the reference altitude. You will notice that the barometric pressure will change with changes in

the reference altitude. Press the button to exit the adjustment mode. Again, allow the Kestrel Meter to

stabilize, then enter the value from the BARO screen as your reference pressure on the ALTITUDE screen by

following the same procedure. Both readings are now accurate.

read the yellow bit of paper you got with the box.... then go onto google earth and find your location ie. closest point to your house, you will see the elevation in metres, i have altitude set in feet, so i converted my height on google earth to feet,

enter this reading in the altitube screen.....

then go onto your local weather forcast such as airport or weather station, and get the barometric reading, set the pressure, to match the reading you got from the site,

if todays pressure is 1013.1 hpa, enter this in the altitude section.... And save it..

now go into baro, to ref. altitude and enter your height you got of google earth....

save this and the two should match closely...

my baro reading for me is only .8 hpa difference from my local weather station...

het presto.... your done...

takes a minute to figure it but you'll see where your going wrong if you do...

snap.

well i have is done now and using the bbc weather for my area the barro reading was spot on, the humidity seemed out but ill play with that j

yes mate and they are very accurate i was doing 60 mile an hour in the cAR AND HELD IT OUT OFF THE WINDOW AND IT WAS RIGHT

i've been told the humidity sensor needs about 20 mins to settle to get a reading..... :o

but it is accurate once calibrated, however, i'm awaiting my gun back to see how it really performs,

getting used to exbal will be the other challenge...... :lol:

left it in the landrover yesterday with the windows up and in full sun got to 42.3 degrees :D:D:o

Archived