.223 mod questions

I'm considering a mod for my .223 Tikka. It would mainly be for range use, possibly with some rough shooting a long way down the line.

I like the look of the ASE UTRA Jet-Z CQB as it's apparently quiet, well made, long lasting and a non-reflex design.

The Wildcat range look very good (and a lot cheaper) however I'm put off reflex designs for a number of reasons:
- I'm a tart and don't want the exterior of my nice matt barrel to get marked
- I've read of accuracy issues with bushed mods and can appreciate how having another point of contact besides the muzzle thread could potentially allow more opportunity for inconsistency

I also notice that ASE also do the Northstar - a non-bushed reflex mod in stainless; however it doesn't appear as effective as the Jet-Z and I have my reservations about galling if fitting a stainless mod to a stainless barrel; although I guess if they're different alloys / anti-seize grease is used this might not be an issue..?

I've read criticisms of non-bushed reflex mods regarding the potential for movement / accuracy issues; however surely (for example) a 300mm non-bushed reflex with 150mm in front of the muzzle is going to give less leverage on the mounting thread if knocked than a 200mm non-reflex with all of its length forward of the muzzle..?

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on mods for the .223 please; particularly on the Jet-Z with regard to effectiveness, longevity, ease of stripping, corrosion resistance and cleaning schedule. I appreciate that it's a lot heavier than some options, however part of the reason I want it is for recoil control during range use so from this perspective extra mass would (within reason) would be beneficial.

Thanks ;)

I use a Wildcat Evo on my .204. Never bothered with the bushing. No issues with barrel getting marked and a very effective mod.

I had a jet-z on a .233, couldn't fault it. Heavy though, but if only for range use that's not an issue.

You can't go wrong with either but the Wildcat is a few £ cheaper. 

PS As mentioned above, people in Wildcat are very nice to deal with.

On 9/13/2019 at 2:35 PM, David Hancock said:

I love my Wildcat Evo on my Sauer .223 Varmint fluted barrel.  The threading is perfect, Alison Green at Wildcat is a star, and the engineering quality is sublime and the suppression much better than a couple of other mods I've tried.  Just a couple of thoughts

On 9/13/2019 at 2:36 PM, David Hancock said:

PS - no marking on the barrel

Plus 1 on all the above - plus they are UK made and designed. I have two on 223 and 308, and neither have given any problems that one often gets with other moderators. Very easy to strip and clean. Excellent suppression. 

M in sunny Monmouthshire

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 2:35 PM, David Hancock said:

I love my Wildcat Evo on my Sauer .223 Varmint fluted barrel.  The threading is perfect, Alison Green at Wildcat is a star, and the engineering quality is sublime and the suppression much better than a couple of other mods I've tried.  Just a couple of thoughts

On 9/13/2019 at 3:03 PM, Poikilothermic said:

I use a Wildcat Evo on my .204. Never bothered with the bushing. No issues with barrel getting marked and a very effective mod.

I had a jet-z on a .233, couldn't fault it. Heavy though, but if only for range use that's not an issue.

You can't go wrong with either but the Wildcat is a few £ cheaper. 

PS As mentioned above, people in Wildcat are very nice to deal with.

On 9/15/2019 at 9:11 AM, Miseryguts said:

Plus 1 on all the above - plus they are UK made and designed. I have two on 223 and 308, and neither have given any problems that one often gets with other moderators. Very easy to strip and clean. Excellent suppression. 

M in sunny Monmouthshire

Thanks guys - quoting you all so you don't think I've left you hanging as I really appreciate your thoughts ;)

Looks like there's a lot of love for the Wildcat products and I must admit that in my limited dealings with them in a past life I've always been impressed by their customer service. My tame man in the trade rates them highly too, and pushed me away from the Utra and towards the Evo.

I've somewhat gone off the idea of the ASE since I found out that they're sealed units / can't be stripped for cleaning; which seems like a big plus for the Wildcats. That said I've read of alignment concerns with strippable mods - how do you find the rifle's zero retention after the mods been removed and refitted / removed, stripped and refitted?

I'm glad to hear that some are running the mods without the rear bush and I've heard (indirectly) that Wildcat are happy to endorse running an over-size hole in the rear bush to give an air gap with the barrel. Thanks Miseryguts for the tip about Coppaslip - the old chap was a mechanic so I grew up being sold on the merits of this excellent stuff!

I got the opportunity at the weekend to hear an Evo on someone else's .223 - as usual with CFs it wasn't moderated rimfire quiet, but night-and-day compared to the rifle unmoderated and I'd have zero issue with using one without hearing protection.

Thanks again - all your input has made the decision-making process a lot easier; I guess now all I need to do is pull my finger out and get a variation sorted!