Barrel length for .44 Marlin rifle

Plecotus

Not sure if this is the right place to ask  but here goes....

What barrel length would people recommend for shooting gallery rifle comps with this one?  I want to shoot gallery almost entirely at 25m but would like to do a bit at 50m and perhaps 100m in due course.  Standard options are either 20" or 16".  I'm tempted by the shorter barrel as it's less weight but wondering whether this would make a significant difference to accuracy at the distances I want to use it?  I've no previous of pistol calibre rifles beyond a few sessions with a club rifle of dubious condition when I was training.

Thanks.

I've a 20" barrel Rossi 92 in .44mag for general fun and cast lead bullet slinging.

While a 16" is lighter and slightly faster handling, I chose a 20" because I felt it balanced better. I also feel the sight picture for longer, more precise shooting, was better.

For 25m-50m shooting, you may find the shorter barrel is best.

I can only suggest you try a number of guns with various barrel lengths to see what suits you best. 

I shoot a 16" .38/.357 and for .38 which has essentially no recoil in a rifle, it's great but shooting full power .357 Magnum, I wish I'd gone with a 20" to give a bit more weight, as I get a lot of muzzle climb and getting back on target for the fast bit at the end of service pistol course of fire is tricky.

For .44, I'd go with the longer barrel.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice.....and sorry for the late reply.  I decided to go with a 20" barrel and having shot it a couple of times now, I think that was the right call.

Archived