Posting a rifle

Hobbesy

I'm selling a rifle and a potential buyer has asked if his RFD could check out the rifle and the condition of the barrel. I would be sending the rifle to the other end of the country.

I was wondering what the legality side of such a situation would be, would the rifle have to be taken off my licence to be sent from my RFD to his?

Thanks

This is my understanding of how this should work:

If you hand the rifle to an RFD at your end and ask him to send it to the prospective buyers RFD purely for his RFD to inspect it, there is no need for the rifle to be taken off your ticket., and you're not doing anything illegal.

If the prospective buyer wants to buy the rifle (and you agree to the sale) then, before the buyer can actually posses the rifle he needs to send his FAC to you (not either of the RFDs).

When you receive his FAC you need to check that he has a slot on his FAC for a rifle of the calibre you're selling (and a moderator if that's included in the sale)

If his FAC is in order then you write on his FAC that you are the seller of the rifle along with your details and the details of the rifle.

You then send the buyers FAC back to him.  When he gets the FAC he goes to his RFD and collects the rifle.

Once the buyer has possession of the rifle you must inform the police force that issued your FAC that you have disposed of the rifle, giving them the buyers details

As for payment, I suggest that payment for the rifle is made to you before you send his FAC back to him.

Also, you need to agree beforehand who pays for RFD costs if he decides not to buy the rifle

Cheers

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for that reply, you've confirmed what I knew and informed me of the bit I didn't. 

The guy is happy to pay for the postage there, and back if he decides it' not for him.

Just wasn't sure about the bit where someone else has my rifle but it's on my ticket. I assumed it was a bit like letting a gunsmith has it to do work on it.

Once again, thanks

Archived